Friday, May 27, 2011

Right where I am: Two years, nine months, eight days.

Thanks Angie, for this project. Glad to be involved. Thanks for constantly inspiring us.

I walked in to our local fruit shop today. I've been going in there for years, and they know me or at least know my face. It is always one of the same three guys who serves me. Today, something happened that never had before.

"Is your name Hope?" the man in the fruit shop said. "No," I quickly replied, suddenly realising where this conversation was headed, if I let it go in that direction.

"Oh, it is just that's what your necklace says." "Yes," I said, before pausing slightly. "It's actually my daughter's name." I wouldn't always have said that, but today I did.

"Oh, is she at school?" "No, she passed away," I gently responded.

"Ohhhh I'm sorry." Long pause. Silence. And right now I could tell like this guy was feeling like the biggest chump on earth. "It's ok," I said, again being the one to offer comfort in the face of my own loss.

"So, do you have more kids?" he says in a hopeful and upbeat fashion. Me (surprised, given I'm always generally in there with a squirmy kid in a pram who wants a grape): "Yes, a little 18 month old boy and another on the way," I said, patting my swollen belly.
"That's great!" he says. "Yes, it is," I say smiling. I then pay for my fruit, and I'm on my way.

From late August 2008 to about February 2009, a conversation like that would have just about ruined me. I would have raced home, used it for blog fodder and sat and stewed over it for hours. I might have even cried. I wouldn't have even had the "happy ending' part of the conversation to make myself or the person on the other end of the conversation feel better. Truth be told, I might not have even been in the fruit shop in the first place, because for at least six months, I really didn't go anywhere, especially to places I used to go all the time. Those were things I did in my Before Life, I guess. My life Before Grief. That was then. This is now.

*****

I wrote the first part of this post last night. Today is a new day. This project is writing about exactly where you are in your grief at this moment in time, but I thought I'd expand on that and write about exactly where I am in my life, as grief and my life are one and the same now. One doesn't exist without the other. The grief does not overwhelm and rule my life with the iron fist it once did, but of course it is still there, and always will be. Grief and I, we're in this together and I'm singed up for life. There is just no other way around it. I guess it is just how I deal with it, move through my life and let it shape the person I am and want to be that really matters from here on in.

So that is really the way of it in my life now. I want to write. I want to blog. I am still sometimes kept awake at night by the words in my head, but by morning they are generally gone again when the busy little toddler starts pulling on my hair, hitting my face and demanding we get up to start our long day. Because right now, in my life, I am busy. I just don't have the time to write like I once did, or the absolute primal drive to get those words out and process all of the dark thoughts swirling around up there. And today, in order to get this post written, I had to ask Daddy (on a day off today) to take our dear Angus to Rhyme Time at our local library so I could get an hour of solace to get this done. Because today, this felt important to me. Especially when I awoke to find my reader flooded with titles "Right where I am". (All of which I am yet to read, but I will get there!)

I'm also tired. I have an 18 month old and while grief and loss are nothing like I ever would have expected, either is parenting a live baby. In fact in many ways, that has been the biggest surprise for me since I embarked on this parenthood journey. I guess if you'd told me this time three years ago that my precious firstborn was going to die as she was trying to be born, I'd have had some idea that I'd be very, very sad for the rest of my life. But if you'd told me just how tired I'd be now or how demanding a toddler could be, I don't think I would have ever really understood. Nothing can prepare you for the changes and the upheaval in your life when a baby arrives, but I obviously treasure this like I would the proverbial pot of gold at the bottom of a rainbow. He's the greatest gift I've eve received and I can only hope I get to hold on to him for the rest of my days. That's the simple wish I have for this new life of mine now - that the rest of my offspring all outlive me.

Angus is three full time jobs rolled in to one with no holidays or sick leave. I know there is only one of them and really, I probably have it quite easy (I'm sure those out there with more than one living child are rolling their eyes at me now) but it is still a crazy life. He pushes my buttons in ways I didn't know they could be pushed. He has energy levels that would leave elite athletes for dead. He knows and understands more than I realise, though his words are few. He is stubborn and feisty and knows exactly what he wants and generally, how to get it. But he also makes me laugh. Laughter that makes me tingle from the top of my head to the tips of my toes, and to be honest, I never thought I'd be able to laugh again, at least not like that. When Hope died, I thought laughter died too but he's brought that back in to my life. He makes me fiercely proud and incredibly happy. He's everything I ever wanted from parenthood and more, and it is so much more fun than I could have ever imagined. He's funny, he's fun, he's affectionate, he needs me in ways no other human being has ever needed me (which is both lovely and absolutely exhausting). But it is also harder than I could have ever imagined.

I'm a full time stay at home mum and while I relish in this privilege, it is also a strain. That is physically, mentally and financially. When I left work three years ago to have Hope, the rough "plan" (hah) was to have 12 months off, raise her, then send her off to daycare so I could go back to work. Because that was just what people did, right? I also knew we'd need the money to cover our mortgage and bills and I knew we'd need two incomes to help to buy a bigger house, so we could afford to and have more kids in the future. This little house, our cosy little two bedroom house, this was only ever supposed to be a temporary place to live. When we moved here almost four years ago, we thought we'd be here two years - tops. But here we still are, with one dead baby, one live baby and one more on the way to our names. To say we're not where we thought we'd be right now is a massive understatement. We scrape by each week because going back to work for me right now, is just not an option. One of the side effects from my grief is that I have a huge fear of being away from Angus, because I have to spend every day for the rest of my life away from Hope so I don't want to be away from him any longer than I possibly have to. They talk about "separation anxiety" and honestly I think I have it worse than he does. I take my hat off to anyone who can (mostly because they have no other choice) leave their child in the care of others while they work. I simply get ill just thinking about it. We still do really need two incomes and obviously going back to work isn't going to happen now with baby three due in a few short months, but just the thought of having a stranger care for Angus makes me weak at the knees. And I think it all comes down to trust. And wanting some control. I know none of us really have control, but if I lost anything when Hope died it was trust, because I had trust in my caregivers to do the best for me and for my baby and they didn't. And she died. That's one of the biggest kicks in the face I've had to deal with and somehow try and make sense of.

So, I'm almost 27 weeks pregnant again. And the pregnancy hasn't been easy, as laid out in my last post. And parenting a toddler, continuing to miss a baby who never lived outside my body and trying to grow a new one has certainly changed the face of my grief and how I go about getting through each day. The pregnancy (CMV scare and amnio aside) has been much easier than Angus' was, at least mentally and emotionally. I don't have a knot in my stomach all day every day and I have a sliver of hope that this little one will make it, though I still can't really picture that I have no idea what we'll do when and if that eventuates. Parenting a toddler and a newborn? Seems a crazy concept to me and I guess we'll cross that bridge when/if get get to it. In Angus' pregnancy, back when I had no idea of just how precious and elusive sleep really was, I'd lie awake all night poking him for fear of going to sleep and letting my guard down. I'd often get up once or twice a night to use the doppler, just to make sure. I had some very long nights, and drank a lot of very cold orange juice in those months. Now, when sleep time comes for me, I take it. I gobble it up. I crave it like a dirty crack addict. When you've had so little for so many months on end, you realise what a gift it is and you take whatever you can get. I go to sleep, I trust the little one inside will pull through the night, and in the morning, I simply wait for that first kick. And so far, I haven't been let down. But when I do get worried, the doppler is there. So far there hasn't been any need for those 2am doppler sessions as I'm almost more worried about waking the baby in the house who lives than trying to find out if the one inside me still is.

Friendships of mine continue to change and adapt in the wake of my loss. Just recently, another very close friend exited my life in rather dramatic and what I would call pathetic circumstances. Honestly, the way it all went down in that final email exchange - I really can only laugh about it now. I was mad as hell about it for a while there, and just as I had with other friends who gave up on me along the way, I had emails all thought out and ready to send in retaliation, but in the end I never bothered. Because I simply don't care any more. People were so ready in those early days to do whatever I wanted, whenever I needed it. But back then, I didn't know what I wanted. Or when. The sun would come up. The sun would set. I would cry. I would wail. I would simply do my best to survive and when friends kept pounding on my door asking what they could do, all I could think to do was ask them for patience. I didn't know how long I would need or what I would need when I miraculously found myself ready, but almost three years out, the patience of many has clearly been tested, so they have given up. This loss didn't come with a rule book or instruction manual. I didn't have a "plan B" on my birth plan of what to do in case of baby dying. I had no idea how to react or what to do, but I can only say my entire grief process, like it or loathe it, has been completely organic. I've just done what felt right and comfortable to me. No one can understand what living with a loss like this is like. And I've come to realise, I can't expect them to. It is simply not fair. So if they don't want to be in my life, then they don't have to be. I manage to live each day without my daughter, so I can certainly live without these friends (or now ex-friends) who found it all too hard and simply thought it was taking too long. This is a life long process. I understand that. And I'm at a point now where I'm ok with that. I guess not everyone else will be. And that's on their shoulders, not mine.

I sometimes think of those friends who did walk away - if only they had waited. I don't think I'm that bad to be around now. I don't always change the conversation back to grief and loss like I once did. I can listen to holiday, wedding and baby plans. I can laugh, share in their joys and come across as someone who has their shit reasonably together. Under the surface, I still feel as if I'm paddling like hell as I know my loss isn't front and centre for them as it once was, but I'm at a place of peace with that. I can bring up Hope when necessary, and not in an obvious "I'm trying to make things all about me and my grief" way and I don't get upset when I do so. If I talk babies or pregnancies, I don't hide the fact she existed and that she is still very much a huge part of my life. I'm sad, yes. I hate it, yes. But it is what it is. I wont keep her a dirty little secret. That's all I can do for her now. Keep her memory alive.

I was also able to get myself back in to social networking. For 18 months after she died, the thought of sharing my life or reading about the lives of others left an acrid taste in my mouth and I wanted absolutely no part of it, even if some dear babyloss friends were gently trying to coax me back in to it. I also figured, what on earth did I have to share apart from my grief, my overwhelming sense of loss and that sinking feeling that I'd been left out of the parenting gang that all my other friends so easily gained membership to? And I already knew most were sick to death of hearing about those things, so why ram it down their throats even further? But I learnt to open up, trust in others and feel connected once again and of course Angus certainly helped with that. The friend list got a huge cull and I added a great many wonderful people I met on this road of grief and it feels right to be out there like that again. There are MANY aspects of FB that still drive me crazy and there are moments where I still shake my head and turn a blind eye, but I don't get that extreme rush of anger or envy I once did. Most of the people who make me feel that way, ended up on the friend scrap heap anyway.

On anger, I still do get very angry. On the really hard days with Angus where I feel like I want to head-butt my book case for an hour on end through sheer exhaustion and frustration, I remember that THIS is the easy part of my personal parenthood. That raising one very demanding live child is like skipping through a field of daisies, sipping on cool lemonade while pink fairies on rollerblades play the harp compared to the pit of filth that grieving for a dead baby is. And then I'm back to the anger. Because of all those SHOULDS. I should be raising two toddlers right now. There are no ifs or buts about it, she SHOULD be here. And we're still working through things with our lawyers, looking at a possible date for conciliation with our hospital soon and I'm just pissed that this is my life and that I had to be the one who ended up with this sad story. Yes, why me? Why us? Why did things turn out this way for us? I love Angus, I wouldn't change him for the world. But he should have his sister here. He shouldn't get the luxury of thinking he is and acting like a first child because he's not. But he'll always think that way and I guess he'll always be treated that way because of all we were robbed of when Hope slipped away from us. I'm better at dealing with the anger and and the flare ups come less frequently, but it is still there, like an annoying itch I can't reach. And some days I still want to scratch my entire body until it bleeds.

Back to feeling connected and friendships, I still place great value on the online friendships I made when Hope died. Just as I did in those very early months, I still read (and comment on) a great many blogs each and every day (and the list just keeps on growing because those babies just keep dying) and at least for the time being, I can't see this changing. I feel it is my babyloss mother duty. A way of giving back, especially to those who are new at this and absolutely floundering in the haze of their early grief. The comments sustained me early on and given I posted fairly frequently, I always felt the love and genuine support out there, coming in via my inbox. But many of those friendships have changed, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. We all moved in different directions after our losses. Many including me, welcomed new (living) children in to the world. But some, sadly, did not, despite wanting it so desperately and doing everything in their power to make it happen. Some went back to work, some didn't. Some just went a bit..... quiet. I keep up with emailing as many as I can, and as many as I feel still want it, and FB helps facilitate contact with many others, but there are aspects of the early days of grieving I miss where I knew I could turn on the computer, find a green light on gmail chat or a new email to reply to and have that pure and much needed level of understanding on tap. I guess what it all comes down to is - we're all different. We all had different losses and we all dealt with things differently. And some of us haven't been as lucky as others. As far as luck goes in the post dead baby stakes, I know I'm just about the luckiest one out there, especially given I'm now doing this whole pregnancy after loss thing again and huge virus scares aside, doing it pretty easily. And the other thing is, we're all busy. And if there is one thing that is different about my grief now, one thing that has truly changed, it is that I am BUSY. And I'm probably more grateful for that than anything else (obviously because Angus is the one making me so busy).

While I'm better at being social and a functioning member of society again on the whole, another huge and obvious change has been talking on the phone, or at least not wanting to any more. I simply can't stand it. I talk to my mum and sister daily, but that's about all I can handle. I no longer answer my home phone during the day because one other thing I don't like is surprises. And with no caller ID, if I don't know who is calling, I don't answer. If someone calls my mobile and I feel up to it, I will answer. Often, I even keep my mobile on silent. I guess there are still some elements of the small talk generally associated with talking on the phone that I find mildly unpleasant. Because when someone asks "how are you?" I still sometimes feel like I want to say "good, but you know my baby is still dead". And coming back to the point of raising a toddler, I don't always have time to speak on the phone because if Angus is awake he very much wants me down on the floor with him, building blocks or reading books and if he's napping (which is an hour, two hours a day if I'm VERY lucky) I want to be resting, too. Not talking. I used to absolutely detest the quiet and the alone time. Now I crave it, as guilty and as horrible as that makes me feel because for those 15 long months between babies, all I wanted was a little person with me, to keep me busy and to give me purpose again.

As for Hope herself, it is hard to say when I actually stop and think of JUST HER these days. Early on, she was all I thought of. I thought of the pregnancy, the labour, the birth, holding her, the night in hospital, being with her, leaving her in that hospital, the funeral and the early days and weeks where it was all about Simon and I and all about our grief. That was all I had. Every other thing, person or event in my life had been blacked out by the darkness of the grief that washed over us when we lost her. Now it is more of a subtle thing. I don't know how else to really say it, but I think about her all day every day. There is not really a moment when I'm not conscious of her. I think of her when I go to bed at night, when I get up each morning and during every moment in between. Every bowl of cereal, every dirty nappy, every cold cup of tea, every nursery rhyme sung, every walk to the park, every interaction with every person I have. It has simply been woven in to the fabric of my life. Her precious things are still on display in my house, though very much covered with dust, I still wear her name around my neck. I'm getting better at telling Angus about her and when I ask him now "where's Hope?" he points straight to her picture on the wall. Though, on Mother's Day this year, which was the best one I've had so far since I became a mum, I did "forget" to go to the cemetery. We were all set to go, and I knew I had to make time in our busy day but after I dragged myself out of (my crumb filled) bed (after a delicious breakfast made by Simon) and got myself and the busy toddler ready for our family lunch, we rushed out the door and never made it to visit her. By lunch time, when I realised, it was too late to go back as we had too far still to travel and too much to do for the rest of the day. I beat myself up about it for days. What sort of mother forgets to visit their dead child at the cemetery on Mother's Day? I felt like a defunct babyloss mother, especially with so many posting pictures on FB of themselves crouched down beside baby graves, but eventually came to realise that it is just part of life, and I was doing the best I could under the stresses of toddler wrangling and a subsequent pregnancy, round two. And hey, if we'd had her cremated, there would actually be no place to go anyway, as I'd have a little urn here with me. And going to the cemetery is not part of my normal routine anyway, as I generally feel pretty empty when I'm there, so I stopped punishing myself and just enjoyed the rest of the day for what it was.

I still admit to finding little girls and all things baby girl related a bit hard to handle. While some aspects of baby girls and raising daughters will always make me turn to mush from the inside out, there is one little girl who does steal my heart and who does make it so very easy. And that's my little, though very round and deliciously chubby niece, Lucy Hope. If you'd told me after Hope died that my sister would go on to have a live baby girl before I ever did, I probably wouldn't have coped with that news very well. I would have been jealous, sad and angry. No two ways about it. But when my sister told me she was pregnant, just a few months after I found out I was carrying Angus, it was ok. I knew I'd have to steel myself for the 50 per cent chance her little one would indeed be a little pink one but by the time she got her gender news, Angus was already here and it suddenly didn't matter any more. And now that Lucy is here, and quite a delightful and funny little 13 month old who absolutely adores her big cousin Angus who in turn absolutely adores hitting her on the head with his toys, it really, really doesn't matter. Her cute outfits can still make a lump lodge in my throat and I still think of the future my sister will have raising a daughter, a future I may never get, but it is no way near as painful as I thought it would be. Lucy is Lucy. Angus is Angus. Hope is Hope and all three of the babies in this family are loved the same. We just miss the one who is not here. And we hope the one who is on the way will hang on and make it, boy or girl. It really doesn't matter. I may get that future of raising a daughter I so crave. I may not. All I know is, I'm going to do the best I can to enjoy every second of it.

So going to the fruit shop isn't the only thing I'm capable of doing again since Hope died. The list is so long and varied, I wouldn't have the time or the brain power to list them all. Because though I did keep myself locked away from the world and all that was going on outside my front door for many long and lonely months on end, I did eventually emerge again. I attend weddings. Children's birthday parties (though I still find the 1st birthdays hard, just as I do birthdays of babies born in 2008/early 2009). I visit newborns in hospital. These things were all beyond me in those early days. As I said, I still find those baby girls hard, especially the first borns and babyshowers are still a no go zone, but other than that, I'm doing pretty well and I would even go so far as to say I'm amazed at my own coping abilities. In late August 2008 I really thought I'd never get out of bed again. I thought I was broken beyond repair. She died and most of the time I looked and felt dead myself.

I am always loathe to say to new mamas on this road of grief that things get better. And to be honest, in the early days, I hated hearing that myself. I didn't really want it to get better because surely that would mean moving on, forgetting, and getting over her. If I did any of those things, she'd surely no longer be the driving force in my life and I didn't want that. I wanted to remember. I wanted to hold on to her. Even if that meant constantly being tapped in to the pain. But the truth is, in many ways, things do get better, even if only a tiny bit. And that is ok. Maybe better is the wrong word though. Maybe easier is the right word. I'm yet to really figure that out. Obviously in many ways things don't get better (or easier), because the only constant in this new life is: your child is still dead and always will be. You're still going to miss them. You're still going to be sad. Conversations in fruit shops are still going to sometimes trip you up. You just somehow get better at/find it easier to function again. And one day, you'll find yourself buying fruit and you'll realise, it is a tiny bit better, that you do find your own pile of crap a bit easier to navigate and that you wont have to rock yourself to sleep that night to process your daily interactions.

And that's for me, how life and grief look at two years, nine months, eight days post the greatest loss of my life.

57 comments:

  1. I loved your post. Every single word of it.

    And why I loved reading it from you is because you don't preach; and that you come from the same experience that I have had. When a normal person tells me that this will become better, I can't handle it, and I want to place a punch on their face.

    The first part of the post, and the latter half in their tone do appear like written at different times.

    I want to say how glad I am that you have Angus, and that there is another baby on the way (and I hope that this one too comes safe, happy and healthy in your arms), and Hope will always be there.

    I was absorbing your thoughts in the latter part of the post; how friendships change, the pressures of handling a toddler, and impending new baby with a toddler at hand; how you want to give back to other mums who are in a similar place as when you lost Hope, and all that, and I love it.

    Just want to say that I cherished your thoughts, and I am glad your hubby took out Angus for a while so that you could compose this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last comment was from me. Jeez!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like my future self might have written this. Or my hope that my future self will be in your shoes. I am so glad that you still write and comment because your love for Hope has provided so much guidance and comfort for me. All my love to you mama~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an amazing post Sally.. today I needed the whole section on friendships so I truly thank you for that. Thank you for sharing this perspective on life a bit further down the path... and thank you for continuing to shine some light as I walk along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you and others are sharing this and I def want to share my own.

    I agree it has gotten better or easier or whatever you call it. And I'm really glad it has. I know my living children have played a big part in that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful post. I am sure it will be helpful to many people. Best wishes with your pregnancy and parenting your toddler.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my woman, that was a post and half! Where do I start??? I am so with you on this one. I am nodding away and relating to everything you say. There is not a moment she is not thought of, she's just always there but the pain is different... because I've learned to live with it differently. Remembering her is not just tapping into that agony... if that makes any sense.

    Thankyou so much for this post. Looking forward to talking about it with you more later. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sally,

    Yet another piece of what ought to be required reading for folks who haven't lost a baby. There's a world of difference in our stories but so much of what you say still rings true as always.

    I really admire your honesty and the way you reach out to support all of the members in this community. As fervently as I wish you hadn't lost Hope, I'm glad that you're out there keeping us all company.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Sally. This is so full. I felt like I was all over the map and yet didn't hit everything writing mine and as I'm reading others (I only read Angie's before I got started) I think of so many things that are true of where I am now.

    Being busy and not having the drive to process every dark thought, the tiredness of parenting a live child, being able to have the "my baby died" conversation without it killing me as it once did . . . I'm there too.

    As for the cemetery, I have such a strange relationship with that place. There are certain times I feel compelled to go (yes, Mother's Day is one of them), and when I get there, most often I feel lost. I don't know what to do with myself. Perhaps I'll feel better (less guilty?) when we finally have a stone on Henry's grave (I was hoping for his birthday this year, now really just wanting in before December). And yet, I feel like I failed somehow if we don't go (we didn't have time to stop—it's right on the way out of town—on Christmas Eve and I HAD to go on Christmas. I mean, I didn't drag Kathleen out before she opened presents, but I couldn't bear the thought of not going and we got there and it was freezing and I dropped some hearts on the snow, leaned into Brian and we left).

    I could go on, there are so many things that made me nod. But there's one that stopped me—I think of her all day every day. I don't do that with Henry. So of course my first thought is am I a bad mother? Do I not think about him enough, remember enough? But no, I think of him often (in the morning when I turn out the memory lamp, as I catch sight of his picture taped to my monitor while I work, when I pull out an outfit he wore for Elizabeth, when Kathleen says goodnight to him . . . I don't consciously think of him often, but he's still there, not needing my attention all the time maybe, like a child who has learned to play by themselves for a while. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sally for sharing where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your insights and your journey. You hit the bases in such a concrete way. There were two lines that just screamed out to me:
    Grief and I, we're in this together and I'm signed up for life.
    That was something I kind of thought was different after I lost Lucy. I thought grief was something that ended. And now I realize it is with me forever, and surprisingly, that doesn't scare me in the slightest anymore.

    I sometimes think of those friends who did walk away - if only they had waited.
    I have thought this too, but then I immediately realize that no. They left me at my worst moment, because I was unpalatable, and you know, that is really a good thing to know. Who is there for you and who isn't. Who loves you in your worst moment. Those people are a lot fewer than I thought, but that is also okay now too.

    Thank you for participating in this, Sally. Really powerful to read each of these and knowing Hope's story since the beginning of my story makes this even more powerful to me. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even though I haven't been through what many of you and the other commenters have, I love this post. And I am so grateful that I found you and your blog.

    I have 2 living children, (who are 19 months apart) and am one of those moms who could NOT be a SAHM. I hope for your finances sake that someday you will be able to manage your anxiety and find a balance with work and being a mom. (if that is what you want) Until then...I admire your ability to stay at home with Angus and be pregnant and do everything that you do!

    Reading posts such as this makes me keenly aware that you just don't know everyone's story. And you need to have patience and tolerance and compassion for every mom. Every mom is a mom, as different as our experiences are.

    I will never forget your story. I always try to stop when my kids are driving me INSANE and take a deep breath and BE THANKFUL. Because I now know that more often that anyone knows, things don't always turn out the way we want them to.

    Thank you for posting and telling your story. Good luck with your new baby (I love that you don't know the gender!), and good luck with Angus, and good luck with the two of them together:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also, I am a firm believer that friends (and sometimes family) come and go inour lives for a reason. At the moment you are in, they are there for that moment. Sometimes the moment changes, and you need new or different friends.

    It sucks that your life has changed so dramatically and your friends couldn't keep up. But I'm glad that you have found new ones to walk with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Sally, what a post! I love your honesty, and you made me smile when you said you thought those of us with more than one child would be rolling our eyes at you coping with Angus. That's not true at all, it's hard taking care of one child, much harder when you are their only playmate.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just want to say congratulations on your pregnancy. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. Thank you.

    I agree with everything Angie said... it was exactly what I was going to say but I won't repeat.
    Just sending much love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're just amazing, Sally. This post is so full of honesty, truth and inspiration. Your words always hit home. Love

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for this post, Sally. I remember not wanting things to get better. If I couldn't have my baby back I wanted to hang on to everything connected with him, even the pain.

    You are so generous with yourself - I love that about you, and you've been a great gift to this community (and certainly to me). I'm glad I've met you though I'd give a lot for it to have been under *completely* different circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing! I loved every part but especially the one on friendship. I think more people should read that. I too went through a similar situation only a few months after my son died. I'm 10 months out, so I appreciated your insight and the hope you have given me for down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes to so much of this, Sally. This is such a beautiful, comprehensive, motherlode post. You've really encapsulated what it means to live every day without our babies.

    I was thinking today that all six (!) of our babies are essentially the same ages. Although this path is not always sunshine and roses, and often it's full of rage and sadness and tears of frustration and desperation, I am so glad to share it with you.

    Love to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Like I said in my post, all of the Mamas out there who live every day without their babies have a special place in my heart. Good luck with your pregnancy. I'll say a prayer for a happy and healthy ending.
    xo-Lacey

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your life sounds so much like mine- how much we love our boys and love that they need us so much. I could never imagine how demanding a toddle can be- how demanding they are of your love, or of your energy. I thought I knew, I thought I had an inkling, but in all honesty I had no idea and couldn't comprehend how much my toddler needs me.

    Only, I have it a little easier because I'm not 27 weeks pregnant and exhausted from growing another baby.

    I returned to work 10 weeks after having Cooper. I'm lucky enough to have my husband's parents, one of them on permanent disability due to a knee injury, to watch him. I still hate having to work, if I had it my way, without having to worry about bills or money, I'd be a stay at home mom. But, what I've noticed, the day off I have him all to myself, and the day off we have together as a family, so so much more appreciated and cherished.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your post really moved me, thank you for sharing. I feel especially connected to how you describe your friendships. That's been a huge struggle for me as of late. Praying for peace for you throughout the rest of your pregnancy and saying a prayer for Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for being so honest. It aint all sunshine and roses two and a half years down the road.

    It's better, but not OK. Best line of this post- Because when someone asks "how are you?" I still sometimes feel like I want to say "good, but you know my baby is still dead"...I feel like saying that at least 10 times a day...only I want to scream it from the mountaintops, so that EVERYONE knows he died. Hey Everybody...Xavier died, why is the earth still spinning?

    I guess it was just my own world that stopped that day. Thank you for sharing and stopping by my blog with such encouraging words :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sally what an amazing post - its lovely to see your frank and articulate writing here; everything to do with where you are right now.
    Thank you for showing me such an insight into life further down this grief path, as Missy said you bring such hope and guidance to me - thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such an amazing post Sally. Do thank Simon for taking Angus out to the library to give you the time to write it!

    The encounter at the fruit shop just broke my heart. I think I know what you mean, years ago I would have found an encounter like that very difficult to handle (and possibly would also not have been in the fruit shop in the first place!) but now they seem easier and harder all at once. When I went to register R's birth, the registrar asked me, jokingly, if there was just the one baby, that I wasn't hiding a twin somewhere. Geesh. That would have completely blown my mind back in 2008/9. Now I just smiled and said "no."

    I am not surprised that you have huge separation anxiety when it comes to leaving Angus, particularly given the circumstances surrounding Hope's death. I think the death of a baby has the ability to shake up everything single little plan that you'd made. We are also not where we thought we would be right now.

    I'm glad that you are finding this pregnancy a little easier than your pregnancy with Angus. I found that my need to 'gobble up' sleep did help with anxiety this time around.

    I'm sorry that another close friend has made an exit. I've often wondered what it was I wanted from people but you've nailed it, patience. Just to wait. Surprising how few people are actually willing to do that. I also don't really 'do' talking on the 'phone. Nigh on impossible with a toddler anyway.

    I think our daughters are always there, I loved your description of changing nappies and cold cups of tea. They are there in the background of even the most mundane scenes of our lives.

    You are so generous and compassionate with your support Sally. I feel very lucky to have 'met' you although I wish the circumstances had been different. x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been really neglectful of blog reading lately and I can't begin to tell you how much I valued reading this post today Sal. You're very wise and this post is simply extraordinary. You articulate the skewer effect of grief so brilliantly. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. You really captured a lot here that is so familiar to me. Especially about friends who won't wait through hard times - we wish they did.

    I wanted to say about the 18 month period - I found that to about 2 the hardest period for me. After 2 there were more tantrums, but there started to be lengthening times of less incredibly. needy. must. have. you. now. moments.

    I love your description of the phone thing. I have issues with phones now too and in some ways I think it's the unexpectedness of it - I have lower tolerance for what could be bad news (but 99% of the time is not) intruding.

    Really glad to have found your blog via this project!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's crazy, isn't it - I myself can't believe it's been almost 3 years. I don't know where I'd be on this journey without you and Hope. I remember her, Sally. Always will. I like that we're in better places, actually parenting living children, but like you, I hate that we had to work so damn hard to get here and they SHOULD be here. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That was an amazing post. It's taken me a few days to find the time and peace and quiet to come back and read it in it's entirety. I think you are an amazing mum to all 3 of your children, and Hope was in your heart on Mother's Day regardless of whether you went to the cemetery or not. I didn't get to go on Mother's Day either. I rarely get to go these days, and if so, not for long, so I know what you mean. Not like the long hours I used to spend there. Life has changed, and my baby girl knows that, as does yours and they wouldn't want it any other way. They know the live on in our hearts.

    Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I read and loved this post. Honest and reflective. Love to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sal, like everyone has said, there's just so much in this post. I don't know where to start, except to say I love you and I want to talk about every single thing you've said here in person, with many cups of tea. But it's not just the ocean that get's in the way, you live on a whole other day to me!

    You're amazing. I miss talking to you all the time x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sally,

    Thanks for this exhaustive post and for taking the time to share everything with us. I am new to this baby loss thing and have spent the last few days catching up on your story. I'm so sorry you lost Hope. It's just terrible.

    In reading all of these blogs from the project, I find I'm looking for hope and perspective and your post offered both. I especially needed the post on getting pregnant after losing Hope and now being pregnant again. We will be trying again soon and I think a lot of this will resonate with my partner Kari.

    Anyway, lots of love to you down under. In the Before Margot time in our lives, we lived in Sydney for a few years and loved every minute of it.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful Sally. I relate so much to what you have written here. Currently I am going through some rough patches with friends, not because they have done anything particularly terrible but because I am still having trouble functioning as a friend to them. They need something from me that I am still incapable of providing.

    As it turns out you and I are roughly at the same point in our pregnancies. I'm exhausted all the time. From working full time, from worrying full time, and from missing my son full time.

    I hope for both of us very uneventful and smooth pregnancies.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gosh... what a wonderful and powerful post. One of those I'll bookmark to read again and again... thanks for sharing. Sending much love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. HI! Thank you so much for your comment on my post! I LOVE when you said this:

    "how are you?" I still sometimes feel like I want to say "good, but you know my baby is still dead".

    SO TRUE! Would love to really say that to someone one day! Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing! I wish you all the best with your newest baby!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great great post Sally! I am always amazed at how our feelings and journies have been so similar. I can't believe I walk around smiling most days, especially when I think back to December '07. My mind still goes to dark places and sometimes I feel like I could still be swallowed by my grief, but on most days I am just a happy mom to two little boys. And I can't believe how lucky I am to have them! I think it was you who coined the unluckiest lucky girl...that's how I feel too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sally,
    This post just absolutely touched my very soul. You put so much depth into it. I can feel your heart talking throughout everything you wrote. You ability to write about everything you feel amazes me beyond belief. I think the part that I related the most to is the friendships. I, too, find that I have no interest in answering the phone or really being the one to reach out to others. Therefore, those friends in my life need to take that role. And many tried for awhile...and then have given up slowly. All I keep praying is that they keep trying...and maybe someday I will be in a different spot to be the one to make that effort too. Thank you for writing...and sharing Hope with all of us. Sending many hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Such a beautiful post from a beautiful and inspirational woman... thank you for sharing it and thinking of you always xoxo

    newyearmum2blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for this post. And, as you suggested I have started to read your earlier posts as well. You are right, I feel very much the same as you did then. It's like I am reposting your posts only two and a half years later. I so relate to what you said about how much it meant to you to receive emails that tell you there has been a comment on your blog. I eagerly wait for those on my blog or on the forum I am a part of. It is one of the only things that makes me feel heard and understood, and that is comforting. So, I thank you for reading my blog and writing yours. As the title of my blog says, I am searching for hope and your story and your blog gives me that. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  40. i am very very late. and very moved.

    so glad to know where you are. so grateful for the way you articulate the long walk of it, the continuing walk of it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you for sharing your experience and for reading my blog. I love learning from others that have experienced similar losses, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am the mom of a living shild, a daughter, she is three and a half. And being a mom to one child is HARD. So hard that we are thinking of not having a second. We are very torn on that. We both work full time and have to continue doing so. We do not have any extra money for a second child. So highly doubt we will. My sister is in the same boat as you, she has an 18 mo old son and a baby due 7/31. I cant even imagine what hell she is going to go through. Once your baby comes and is A OK, you will end up working again one day. And it will be easier than you imagine to let them get used to being around other people and children in a structured environment. They will love it. And you will want a BREAK!! Because between 18 months and 2 1/2 was the most difficult/annoying time of raising her. They are NUTSO at that age. Great post!! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  43. love you sal. that's all i can say right now. so happy to read your words, and know how you are. we will always be friends no matter what and i will always cherish you and how awesome you've been for me through it all. sending you lots of love and anxiously awaiting the day when we can meet (with families in tow!) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you for commenting on my blog. This is a beautiful post, and very much want to congratulate you on Angus and the latest little you have growing inside you.

    I'm very much still at the whole, "a mention will crumble me", but I'm trying my best to dig out of there. Thank you for showing me it's possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you for your comment, I too am sorry for your loss. I am glad Angie's project led me to your post, as it is beautiful. The last sentence is so very true. Losing our children becomes part of who we are... and dealing with it becomes a little less difficult as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Loved, loved your post! Nodded along throughout. Thank you. And thank you for your comment and welcoming me. I, too, am sorry about Hope.
    Laine

    ReplyDelete
  47. Sometimes I read letters and thoughtrs fro other moms and I wonder, how can so many women feel the same way.

    I get it, I know what you are saying. I hate that I get it (you know what I mean?)

    Everything in our worlds have changed...it's a domino effect.

    Thanks for sharing this...for making me feel normal. Your Rainbow is gorgeous btw...

    Thanks for visiting me and leaving a kind word.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Sally, I've visited three times so far to read this post. It's so rich and there's so much I want to say but I keep getting pulled away. I think that I just want to write YES, in capitals over and over on most of the posts I've read in the projectso far. So far, there has been something in every post that has made me think "That is it, exactly". There was a LOT of that going on as I read your words. Yours was one of the first blogs I ever read - I found your words honest and raw and true and beautiful; and your Hope is so gorgeous, I was drawn back time and time again. And of course, although Hope is your first and Emma is my third, there have been similarities in our experiences and in our timelines which mean I have always felt a connection to you and your writing here. which is maybe why so much of this post felt like you had been inside my brain for a while! You are going to be an amazing mother to THREE precious little people.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Reading your words was like reading my own personal journal! Such a strangely comforting experience, I feel like I know you by your words that so mirror my very own grieving heart, as well as the heart of a Mom of living children and the toll they take on our hearts, as well as the heights of joy they bring us. Wow, thank you for your incredible authenticity, i wish we could share a cup of tea and reminisce! So sorry for the death of Hope. Thank you for being such a courageous and beautiful Mom to ALL your children. xx

    ReplyDelete
  50. I just shared the link to your blogpost from within my own Right Where I Am post, I just had to--I resonated with it more than any other BLM blogpost EVER. Thank you so much. (and really, I was so moved I know I must sound a tad psycho, really I'm not!) =)=)

    ReplyDelete
  51. I know I'm coming in late to comment on this, but I read it a few weeks ago, and came back to read it again. And once more. Your words echo with me, Sal. I just can't stop nodding and although our stories are quite different, I just really feel connected to you. I guess I could ramble on, but the one thing I wanted to say is that I am so glad that you have Angus there to make you laugh. That you can laugh. It seems impossible that it could ever happen, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  52. I remember, in the first months after Ben died, how desperately I wanted to know I would survive. This was before I knew about blogs (don't even know if there were any babyloss blogs) and online resources--and there weren't any books (at least none that worked for me) to tell me I would survive.

    But I did. And I am. Ben is never forgotten, he is always with me, every breath. And it doesn't hurt as much, but it will always hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thanks for your comment on my blog, Sally. I, too, am glad that Angie's project introduced me to so many amazing women, amazing writers, even while I am sorry that there is a need for this project at all. I am so sorry for your loss, so glad you have your son, and so hopeful for your current pregnancy. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I just found your blog...I know so many times when I have been angry with my children and felt like giving up it is my daughter in Heaven, Bethany Hope, that reminds me to be grateful and blessed I have them to love and care for....they get me through...

    ReplyDelete
  55. I'm so sorry your darling Hope is not with you right now. You did a beautiful job writing everything down. I'm so glad I took the time to write out Innocent's birth story. I was afraid that the little details would be lost if I waited.

    Thank you for your kind words on my blog.

    Prayers as you approach your due date.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved