Friday, April 10, 2009

When death comes knocking again

My grandfather is gravely ill and has been moved to a palliative care unit, to see out the rest of his days. Soon, he will die.

This change in his health has been swift. He and Grandma have been slowly going down hill for a few years now, but after a short stint in a respite home just last week, he was told he would not be able to go home. He's now in hospital, waiting to die.

Yesterday he turned 90, and given I had not seen him since my beautiful Hope's funeral, I told my Dad I would go with him to see him, and celebrate his birthday.

I got in to his small, awful looking room where he was sitting in his recliner chair (that he is pushed around in, as he does not really walk anymore) and gasped when I first saw him, as he really did not look good. But I was also not overly surprised. I had prepared myself for the worst. And really, I think it takes a lot to shock me these days - I am the woman who has given birth to a dead baby after all. But he did look bad, dead already in fact. And not exactly the way I wanted to remember him after so many cherished memories of happy years spent with him. He was so thrilled to have me there though. In fact he said I made his day. He had no idea I was coming, as really I don't go many places these days, so he was very surprised.

But when I got in to the small room the hospital had provided for us to celebrate his birthday, where the rest of my extended family was waiting (and I do have a very small family, so we are only talking about a handful of people here) I lost the plot.

Playing "happy families" with people who have been fairly "distant" with me in the last eight months and watching people fuss over my cousin's baby girl, born just a few months before my Hope, was all too much for me. She turned one last weekend. Yet another first birthday party I was not invited to. And she's family! Guess my sadness was not welcome at their happy, shiny event. I hate people making decisions for me. I feel alone enough these days, I do not need to be purposefully isolated as well. And by my family no less, the very people who are supposed to stand shoulder to shoulder with me through this grief. If you can't turn to your family in this hell, who can you turn to? Lucky, my immediate family have been brilliant though, so if members of my extended family fall by the wayside, then so be it. Lots of friends are falling away too. But that's ok, I will survive. I have already lived through the worst life has to offer.

So I excused myself from the room, took myself outside and had myself a nice long cry - alone. And it has been a long time since I've had a chance to do that. I have not been back to that "place" for a while now, but that's the thing with grief, it sneaks up on you and knocks you down when you least expect it. Yesterday I expected it though. I never thought it would be easy with a) the dying grandfather and b) the rest of the family complete with one small baby girl all in a small room together and c) a birthday celebration of any kind, when my Hope gets none.

I wondered what the staff thought when they saw me run from the room? Probably thought I was upset seeing my dying grandfather. Nope, I was just sad for me. And for Simon. And of course for my Hope. People may think I sound selfish, but when you are so wound up in your own sadness, it is hard to be sad for others. I'm sure my family think I'm a bitch, but like we all know "everyone grieves differently" so this is just the way I am chosing to grieve his death. Because when his death comes, it wont all be sadness and longing. It will be a celebration. A celebration of life. A life lived to the full.

Grandpa, while he is sick and dying, he was able to celebrate his 90th birthday, surrounded by those he loves and those who love him back, including one very cute great granddaughter. There should have been two god damn it.

My whole family seem incredibly upset and distressed at the thought of his impending death, but I am ok with it. I know if Hope was here I might feel the way they do, but she's not, so now I have a different take on the whole thing.

Grandparents are supposed to die. We are supposed to bury them. Great grandparents are not supposed to see their great grandchildren die. It is not the way life is supposed to go. He has had such a rich and full life. Lived on different continents, fought and was captured in the second world war before marching across Europe to freedom, travelled the world, had interesting work, married, had kids, grand kids then great grandkids. His life was lived. Hope was dead when she was born. She doesn't just miss out on her first birthday, she misses all of them. She was dead when she was born. Dead when she was born. Nothing in this world could be more screwed up than that. Grandpa is dying at the right time. In fact maybe he has even lived too long now. He's so ill and frail, it seems cruel he has to live out his final moments like this.

Once the other family members, including said baby girl had left, I felt ok about going back in to the party. I went and sat with Grandpa for a while, even though he seemed to fall asleep between sentences. He's still completely lucid and knows who we all are, but his body is just failing him. Its shutting down, and I can see he's ready.

So that was my day yesterday. A day I had been dreading. People had been saying for weeks I needed to go and visit him, as I may not have had another chance but I was never sure I wanted to go. People said I would have regrets if I didn't, but I know I wouldn't have. I have made peace with his passing, even though he is obviously still here. I have no regrets whatsoever when it comes to my grandfather, I can assure everyone of that. I'm just not sure that's the way I wanted to remember him - the way I saw him yesterday, and I also didn't want to be thrust back in amongst the rest of my family, with their shiny happy lives where nine months results in a live, screaming baby.

But what's done is done now. I saw him, I said some silent goodbyes. So now we all wait for death to come knocking.

27 comments:

  1. Oh Sally I am so sorry about your grandfather. But I completely understand your feelings. My grandfather died about four months after Jordan died. I found it very hard not to compare and think about Jordan. My grandfather lived a good life. It was time for him and I found it impossible to mourn his death the way I probably would have had Jordan not died.

    I didn't got to his funeral as it was in South Australia and to go would mean being surrounded by barely known extended family and having no 'safe zone' to just be. I could not bare to be around people for long at that time. Even now I find it difficult.

    The worst for me was knowing that my gradnfather died the death we did not want for Jordan... On a respirator, surrounded by strangers and in a place he clearly hated.

    I'm glad your grandfather is in palliative care and not ICU.

    Love to you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear of your grandfather. And I'm sorry that you had to spend time with him amidst other family members who have not been there for you. I'd say I'm shocked you weren't invited to the first birthday party, but the same thing just happened to us, with good friends. Oh, their baby died, it'll be too sad for them to come. We'll just ignore them and not invite them and pretend it never happened. What's wrong with people? What makes them think that's okay?

    We expect grandparents to die, even parents eventually, that's the order, that's how life is supposed to be. Hope was not supposed to die, she should be home with you right now, and I have tears in my eyes, wishing that she were. Much, much love to you sweet Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sally, I wish you lived here, I wish you were part of my family. I wish so much for you. I am astounded that your family didn't invite you to the birthday. It would have been your perogative not to go, but not to have the choice!
    Like you I wish I hadn't seen my gran that one last time, it wasn't how I wanted to remember her. But strangely enough after she died, I was glad I had. Thinking of you and sending love xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally, I am so sorry about your grandfather. I am sorrier about Hope, though.

    When my Grandma died in December, I was sad, but I was surprised by the way that her death refreshed my grief for Teddy, by how angry I was that he'd had so much less time than she'd had.

    Thinking of you, and wishing you better days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally, I'm so sorry. My little family has endured much loss in the last four months too: my daughter, my father-in-law, my grandmother, my aunt...we are also facing two more losses in the next however many months. I can just say that putting into a perspective of appreciating the long life they have lived seems like an incredibly healing way of looking at their life. Sending my love and thoughts to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sally, what a day. Your description of running from that room brought me right back to running from a different sort of room -the cardiac ICU where my dad was in November - indeed all the doctors and staff thought I was sobbing because of my dad - and sure that was part of it, but really it just brought back everything about Ezra.
    I think you are very brave to have gone to such a family event, and I hope you will take gentle care of yourself for the next few days. I have avoided all family gatherings beyond my immediate family in the last 7 months, and there are certain cousins who I would prefer never to see again. Just sending you so many hugs and much love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think sometimes when confronted with everyone else going on 'as normal' that is what we are grieving, our loss of looking at things through 'normal' eyes. Our perspective has changed, irreversibly. And it hurts.
    I hope you can talk to your family about how you feel about not being invited to parties etc..I think it is really hard for them to know what is the right thing to do and it sounds like they may have wanted to protect you by not inviting you, not hurt you. It's hard to know how we are going to feel from one day to the next, even when it is us who is doing the feeling, imagine how confusing it is for those around us who are helpless to make a difference. I hate to read about db moms cutting everyone out becasue they don't get our feelings. Maybe if you try to give them a chance, write a letter if talking is too hard, but let them know how hard it is from day to day and that while you may not always want to participate in a certain event you would like to make the decision yourself. And that you still need support. There is nothing wrong in needing it. Lots of it. And if after you have given them the chance to be there and they still fall short, then maybe let go of those who let you down.
    I'm sorry about your Grandpa. 90 is a great age to live to. I hope he remains surrounded by those he loves and that when the time comes he has a peaceful passing.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am truly on the same page as you and Ezra's mommy. I have cousins that have babies close to age as Zoe. Guess what? First birthday party is Sunday for two of my baby cousins, and NO INVITE from either of their parents. I don't know the motives or if I even care. It does suck though, to not even be given the choice. Things like this are only another reminder of how alienated we are sometimes and not by our own doing. Reading that other people's families do the same crummy thing makes me feel a little better.
    I'm sorry about your grandpa. I know it all seems so unfair...
    Love Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  9. It hurts so much to see a loved one in pain. And it hurts when you are in pain, and noone seems to care.

    My family doesn't really help much either.

    (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry about your Grandfather...I know loss is loss and grief is greif, and triggers the 'still here' stuff.

    sending you BIG hugs and love

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sally, it is hard when death comes knocking again. Brian's sister died about six months after Henry, and I felt like it brought me back to the earliest days after he died when I was just wrung out and Brian and I struggled to communicate. I'm sorry for your impending loss and for the grief it brings back to the surface, but I'm mostly sorry that you have that grief to come back to the surface--that Hope isn't with you, that your dying grandfather never got the chance to meet his great-granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry, Sally, for everything. Your grandfather, your family, the heavy weight of sadness and grief you experience, the bitterness a bereaved has to feel...
    big, big ((hugs)) to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't had another loss or impending loss since my daughter, but I think I would feel the same way.

    A couple of months after my daughter's funeral, I was organist for a funeral for an 80+ year old man I had never met. It was so different- it was full of family stories and anecdotes, laughter and tears, whereas in our service there was absolutely nothing to celebrate. Lost possibility and potential, that was it.

    Being babylost really does change your perspective on death.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sally, sorry to hear about your grandfather, but totally understand where you're at. Grieving a baby who didn't get to live their life, is such a polar opposite of grieving a person who lived a full life to a ripe old age. My grandmother died at 93 a few years ago, and when my mother compares my grief to hers, I get crazy. It's so very different.
    Glad to see you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've been nominated for the sisterhood award: http://losingkara.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I nominated you for the Sisterhood Award, **HUG**

    http://notalwaysclevergirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everyone else has said it s beautifully, I just wanted to add my voice and say that I cried while I read this. Much love x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry about your grandfather, Sally. I think I would feel the same way. I glance through the obituaries periodically and get angry at all the people who got to live good, long lives and get married and have children. My perspective is so very different now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi sally. what a beautiful, thoughtful post. i think about that often, of my grandparents who lived full lives and how my little silas didn't get to meet them here, but maybe is somewhere hanging with them now.
    i have no words today, except that i'm always thinking of you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sally, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. Since Emma died I've thought a lot about dying "well" and how it's possible to celebrate life when the person who dies is "full of years" - and how it's yet one more thing our children didn't get.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sally, that was a poignant post...it's almost like you are in a surreal situation, looking at people whom should of provided support, them fussing over the baby without any regard to Hope and the trauma you have been through, aswell as the grief...fishbowl type of effect, I would like to call these type of people within families and I have my fair share of them, the ostrich..stick their head in the sand and hope that all the sad stuff goes away...sadly my dad suffered a subdural haemotoma last Wednesday night with me flying up to Sydney, he is non responsive and is critical in ICU... I wish I had a chance to have said so many things and the thought of him passing away in the same month that Harry passed away (april) is too much, I feel exhausted, i wish he could of seen the new baby...
    I rang the same family members to come and say something to dad and still the ostrichs don't want to face death...why is death such a taboo subject when it is when people need support so much...
    love Louxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am sorry about your Grandfather. Death is always hard but I really relate to this post. I have had several older aunts die in the last year, and I can't get sad about it. In my mind, they lived a rich full life. I feel like that's worth celebrating yet there's nothing to celebrate when it comes to our babies. It's stinks because I probably come across as very cold now, but like you said, when you have lived through the worst, it's hard to get worked up about other stuff. I hope you have many wonderful memories of him and I hope he is surrounded by his loving family in his final days. Take care Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sally,

    So sorry to hear about your grandfather. As you said, he has had such a long life, with wonderful family and wonderful experiences... although, it is still so difficult to see someone you love so different from what you remember.

    The fact that you were not invited to the birthday astounds me! How dare anyone make those types of decisions for us....

    Thinking of you and your beautiful Hope.

    I have nominated you for the Sisterhood award.. see my blog.

    Strength to you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sally, I've been thinking about you but haven't had a chance to write.
    Picked you for a sisterhood award.
    I'll be in touch soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sally I am so sorry about your grandfather. May i say ALMOST EVERY time I read your posts I cry..I look at your photos I revisit sometimes your history and I cry. I don't even do that for ME..anymore. You are like my dirty little secret.. hee.. You are poignant, profound and if there could be a poster girl or blog girl for what this grief is.. well then my love you are the COVER GIRL.
    Yes grandfather has LIVED..lucky him. Hope did not get that chance and shit it is unfair and it hurts. STUFF the parties I say..go f... yourselves people. If they don't want to accommodate you...just stuff them. You sound balanced and beautiful and you do your best to participate in this new real world that has been dealt you. But hey you are not a goddamn hero and you don't have to suck it up every time. Much love Ange

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been scared to leave a comment, afraid of saying all the wrong things. I just want you to know that I am truly sorry about your grandfather. I am sorry for the pain you are experiencing. You really are a courageous woman, and I am certain Hope is proud to call you mom. Sincerely sending much love and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved