Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Aching, missing

As this pregnancy begins to wind up, lately I have been missing her. Really missing her.

I've had to put so much of my grief, my missing and my sadness aside as I've grown my son, otherwise I would not have survived the days, but now as we crawl towards a delivery date, the missing is back full force. I want her back.

I must glance up at her picture on the wall 100 times a day, but most of the time, I barely have the time or energy to stop and really drink her in. Today I did.

I miss her. I miss everything about her. Everything I don't know about her. All of it. I just miss her. Miss. Her. It seems insurmountable I have to live the rest of my life like this. It is bullshit, it really is.

I miss her when I see other children who must be about her age. I miss her when I'm with friends and I happen to notice that she's not there, and their kids play on and live on without her. I miss her on my endless days at home alone. I miss her when I'm out and about and facing the world. I'm just always missing her. Really missing her.

A lot of this missing and aching comes from a recent development in our story/saga that proves what we knew all along - Hope should never have died. As part of the complaint process that is currently active against our hospital, we had to seek a second opinion from an independent medical expert about our case. Last week, that opinion came back very much in our favour. That our care in those final, vital days while I laboured at home overdue, alone and confused was not appropriate/acceptable and as a result our outcome could have been much different. It is a bitter pill to swallow, even if it does validate all the feelings we have had about what happened and proves what we all knew all along.

While we feel vindicated, we just feel so angry all over again. And as we find ourselves here, at the very end of this gruelling pregnancy, where each day now feels like nine months in itself, with all the worry jam packed in to each and every hour, we continue to shake our heads in disbelief. How did this happen? How did we get here? What happened to our lives? When can we get our old lives back?

I'm flat and tired. I know we can now pursue things further with our complaint. We can keep up the fight, and possibly get a sliver of "closure", dare I say that word, but I feel so spent. It wont bring her back. And at this point, with all this draining gestating going on, I feel I don't have the energy. I guess at some point in the future, when/if Thumper enters our world alive, we can resume our battle and really make sure someone takes responsibility for what happened. For 14 months, that's all I've wanted. To hear someone say that they were wrong and that they were sorry. I feel enough guilt and responsibility myself for my daughter's death, but I know I wasn't fully to blame, if at all, and that most of the blame lays with those who were supposed to be taking care of me. Me and my baby. How did those professionals let this happen to me? To Hope? An innocent little baby girl, all ready to start her life. It is so unfair.

I'm just so sad this is our story. That this is our reality. That I'm the person that had this awful, terrible thing happen to them. Even though I know awful and terrible things happen to other people all over the world, all the time, some days I selfishly feel: "it really couldn't get much worse than this". I know it could though, but I can't let myself go there, I just can't - and especially not now. I just have to hope for me, this is as bad as it gets and somehow, rebuild my life from here once our son enters it.

So things have been busy here of late, as I wade my way through the anticipation, excitement, sadness and missing. We had a relative take some photos of us. The tiny family of three. Almost. Four? Not really. Whatever. While my heart wasn't 100 per cent in it and I think my eyes give away much of my sadness and longing, I know in months and years to come, I will treasure the photos.

And my Thumper, well he continues to thrive. If I do say so myself, I am good at growing babies. We're just past 36 weeks now, but he's measuring just past 39. And life on the outside is all of a sudden now very ready for him. Our hospital bags are packed, the car seat has been put back in and we're all set to go. Just have to see if he picks his own birthday or the obstetrician does (or if mummy has a serious mental break down and marches in and demands a date herself). It continues to be a waiting game, but we feel better about the "plans" we sort of have in place now. So while we ache and we miss, we continue to wait in hope for all that is ahead of us in the days and weeks ahead.

50 comments:

  1. Sally, I hear you.

    It's unfair, cruel and well worth screaming and yelling all day long. It is good you got a 2nd opinion to validate your suspicion. And even though it won't bring Hope back, at least it will give you a little more clarity about what really happened.

    I am so sorry this all had to happen. Unfair and cruel. Lighting a candle for you and our Aug19 babies tonight and send you loads of love! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all so very cruel and unfair. I am so sorry that this happened to you, Simon, and Hope.

    I am glad that the 2nd opinion validates what you already know. Even if you can't bring Hope back, maybe you can bring about change from that hospital and maybe prevent someone else from living this hell.

    Sending love and strength to make it through the final stretch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes their absence is utterly tangible - and that report .. oh Sal. I'm glad you have that information now but I can appreciate how hard it must be to have it at this point in Thumper's pregnancy. So tiring and emotionally exhausting.

    ... that pregnancy picture - just STUNNING.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Bluebird said, maybe,just maybe, it will prevent this from happening again, from dismissing valid concerns from a first time mother. I am just so sad and angry that this is your story too, Sally. It is so cruel and unfair. Just abiding with you as you move through these last weeks with Thumps inside. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally, I can't imagine. I've replayed my own pregnancy with Charlotte a million times, trying to see if there was something that would have changed the outcome. There really wasn't. To be in your situation and KNOW that things could have been different, that's intolerable. I'm so sorry.

    That's great that you had the courage the get the mat photo done. It's beautiful.

    Holding my breath with you... I know how long these last days feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for what you're going through. And I can imagine how the anger would come up when the 2nd opinion agreed that your treatment wasn't satisfactory. Hope SHOULD be here. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sally - I'm glad you are making your way towards some answers, although I can only imagine how difficult and heartwrenching it is to hear that Hope's death could have been prevented - should have been prevented. I don't think we will ever have all the answers. Nicholas was such a rare, rare incident that the doctors are baffled. Doesn't make me feel much better.

    Not long now, honey. Hang in there. Hope and Thumper have brought you this far. We can see the finish line. Can't wait to hear your wonderful news.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the anxiety near the end of my 2nd pregnancy. What I knew then but didn't know with Abigail. I don't know why babies have to die before changes are made. It doesn't make sense.

    Beautiful picture...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Sally - how hard to have to put the energy into reliving the memories and filing the complaint while pregnant - and how incredibly hard and awful to have it confirmed that Hope's death could have been prevented. It is so unfair, so sad. I'm also at a place right now where the aching and missing are unbearable - 4 months out yesterday and any protective numbness I had at first is gone.

    I'm sitting and abiding with you too, Sally, thinking of you, Simon, Thumper, and of course Hope, and sending lots of love. And the maternity picture is gorgeous and Thumper is so cute, all squished up in there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you received some vindication, but I want to howl along with you because you're absolutely right: this shouldn't be your story. It could have been and should have been much different.

    Thinking of you and hoping the days go by as quickly as they can until Thumper is safe in your arms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pictures.
    I like this post...much better said than the one I currently have sitting in my Drafts folder. It just says, "I miss her."
    I can't believe you are 36 weeks already! Praying the last bit goes smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Right with you, Sal. Missing Hope and anxious to meet Thumper. Sending much love. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. i guess this missing is just going to stick around.

    That boy is getting big- hopefully he will still fit!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to hear that report validates your feelings- she really shouldn't have died. They should pay for it, some how. They need to think next time when a situation like this comes out again, and maybe making them pay will make them think a little bit better.

    You and Simon make very pretty babies.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful photograph. You look absolutely stunning Sally.

    I'm so sorry. That you and Hope didn't get the care that you needed from the hospital. It is so heartbreakingly unfair.

    I miss my little girl too. I think I always will. Much love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. While it must be so vindicating to have your suspicions confirmed, it's still got to be so painful. I can only imagine knowing that had things been handled differently Hope would be with you now. I'm so sorry. I love your pregnancy pic with Thumper and your husband - just beautiful! Sending you all thoughts and prayers. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thinking of you, Sally, and sitting with you in the anger and fear and sadness and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love that picture! it just brought tears to my eyes. i am so sad for you both that you don't have your beautiful hope in your arms right now. in a little bit though, you are going to have a beautiful little boy who will carry a piece of her to you.

    all of this is unfair and i think this helpless feeling is the hardest. but since you did get some validation that they were at fault, then maybe you will get to have that closure. you'll never forget her, but maybe one day you'll feel at peace with the blame.

    i love you and i'm thinking about you all as i'm waiting patiently for the news! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. A part of me wants to say that I'm glad you got that report and had what you knew confirmed. A part of me is so sad and angry that the findings were what they were because the truth is so impossibly hard to bear. I wish- well, I wish so many things were different, Sally.

    Love those pictures- you all look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful photos, Sally!


    I am so sad for you. And angry. I want someone to take responsibility too. I hope that you carry the battle on in time so another Mama doesn't have to suffer in this way. But take a break and concentrate on Thumper now. A few more weeks and this will be all over. Much love and missing Hope with you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know, Sally. I miss Sophie every. single. day. I cry for her more now than I have in a year or more.

    I wish this had not happened to you, to any of us. It certainly doesn't make it easier when you know or find out that your outcome could have and should have been different.

    Hang in there, Sally. I'm sending you lots of love from Pennsylvania tonight. <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know that it doesn't change what happened to you but, it may, just may change what could happen in the future to another family.

    Your look just gorgeous. Just keep breathing, so very close now.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry. What a load of crap that Hope's death could have been avoided. That just sucks and I'm pissed off for you. Sometimes I feel like the medical community treats a first pregnancy like a practice run. Like our first babies are expendable. That's just so ridiculous!!! Ughhhh!!

    I love your maternity picture. I hope I get to take those pics again someday...I can't wait. I also can't wait to see pics of Thumper. I'm anxious to see if he looks like Hope. I'm partial to that little beauty because reminds me of mine :)

    xo
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  24. hey sal,you look gorgeous, Simon is " a bit of alright" too!!!xx can't wait to hear about thumpers news.I know what you mean about being spent...I still want to follow up about having a social worker at St V's for women but have been spent of late too..
    They did so wrong for Hope..I am glad you got the letter..thinking of you and all your family and of course little thumper Louxxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is a hard pill to swallow knowing it all could have been prevented. I'm shaking my head in disgust.

    Such a lovely photo of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Some days you put your finger in that hole and it seems to have gotten bigger since you last inspected it.

    Missing with you. And waiting. (You look lovely, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope for you that this is as bad as it gets and things only get brighter from here on out. You are so close with your little boy and I know you will always miss your daughter. Always.

    I hope someone has to apologize for what happened to your baby girl

    I know the anxiety as you approach the end here with a sub pregnancy. Thinking of you every day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Sally, I so hear you! The longing, the "seriously, is this my life?" thoughts, and the need for the doctors and hospital to accept some responsibilty.

    We've had a similar situation with the hospital, and right now I also don't have the energy to puruse any action beyond sending our case to the hosptital's quality assurance committee for review. Yet, even knowing I did everything right on that fateful day, I still feel like on some level I am to blame for what happened, and I think if the doctors accepted some responsibility I could maybe share some of the blame. Or maybe not. But it would still be gratifying to hear "I'm sorry".

    The picture is stunning. I can only imagine how anxious you must be in the final stretch, but you are so close! I'm counting down the days with you.

    Sending you and Simon and little(hmm..maybe I should say big?)Thumper much love. xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. First, you look beautiful.

    Second... I am so sorry, Sally. I know that you wanted the vindication but also hearing it hurts the more. Because it proves how life so should have been different... I am so sorry. Just so sorry. I know it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh sally, i have tears in my eyes. and they are tears of joy and sadness, simultaneously. so incredibly sad that hope is not here, that those medical professions failed so profoundly. and tears of joy for your beautiful belly, days away from meeting your son.

    sending you love
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. oh sally,
    your words "I'm just so sad this is our story. That this is our reality. That I'm the person that had this awful, terrible thing happen to them" I think that all day, a hundred times a day. How did this happen? How do I have a daughter who is in the cemetery? Is that really her name on the stone? I am so sorry that this fresh wave of grief is hitting you so hard. Sending you so many prayers of love and support as you miss your sweet girl and anticipate Thumper's arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Now is the time to focus on Thumper. Let your heart and your mind be with him. The time will come when it will feel right to fight for Hope and I know you will be a mighty voice for her, when you are ready. You already are, of course, but you know what I mean.

    Love the photo and the HOPE it shows. She truly is always with you.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh Sally, I think about you so often, even if I am at the other side of the globe. I have become a grandma in september, of a beautiful girl baby named Nona. But my son and DIL do NOT like me and I have been yelled out of hospital, having seen Nona just ten minutes.
    And then I read the story of your Hope and Thumper, and I am thinking about it all. My kids live in Belgium, while I am abroad, so without photographs I have nothing... I am so glad you at least have photographs of Hope. They still tug at my heart. I often look at her wondering how it all could have happened... She sure was supposed to live and make you and your husbands life full...
    Keep going girl for two more weeks and I will be with you in spirit! Hoping for a good hospital for you this time, and yes, kick some ass once you have thimper in your arms and home... For Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just wanting you to be happy, Sally. And I think Hope would want that, too. I want you to be uplifted these last few days of this pregnancy, holding on to those last kicks you will feel. it's such a sweet time. I know you are missing her and thinking of her often. I hurt for you, too. I just want a smile on your face and happiness & joy in your heart and mind.
    thinking of you often....
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sally, I completely understand what you're feeling. It's unfair, unconscionable that we will have to live the rest of our lives with this missing. It's awful. I miss her every second of every day. When I allow myself to really look at her photos, I can be thrown back into the pit of despair. So beautiful, so precious, so innocent. It's unbelievable that she is gone. I'm wishing some peace and relief from the missing in your last few weeks of this pregnancy. There is enough stress (mental and physcial) during these last few weeks that the grief can be just crushing. Sending you lots of love. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  36. Missing both our girls too Sal.

    Thinking of you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hang in there- He's on his way! I know the feelings leading up to delivery- I felt the same way before I delivered 4 weeks ago. I love the pictures too!
    Looking forward to seeing more soon!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Moving forward with history on our backs is a very difficult task, and you are doing beautifully, Sally.
    Thinking good thoughts for you, hang in there mama. xo

    ReplyDelete
  39. You wrote this on December 5, 2008. And I got my positive pregnancy test on December 10, 2008. I was 6 weeks pregnant. 33 weeks later... I joined you on the path.


    "I do shudder to think about all the babies that will die in the meantime. The poor women out there who will suffer my fate. They are out there, and they don't even know it yet. Maybe the took a pregnancy test this morning. It was positive! Yay! But little do they know, they may end up getting smacked down with a stillbirth, which much like it did for me, will come straight out of left field. I feel so sorry for those women. I wish Hope was the last baby to die this way. Sadly, I know there will be many women walking this path behind me."

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sally - I'm looking at your Hope right now. She is an ever present part of my reality too. 14 months have passed, but the fact that life could have been different and that we would never have known each other, and that it would have been a good thing...is always there.

    You look radient. Simon looks joyous. Your boy is coming. Your new hope will be here soon.

    xoxo
    miss you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  41. http://safeinthishouse.blogspot.com/2009/11/hope.html


    there's a photo of the shirt i was telling you about on email.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wishing you lots of strength as you make it through the home stretch of this pregnancy. I'm not there yet, but hopefully will be soon - and my sense is it must be normal to feel this strange mixture of sadness during this really poignant and physically/mentally/emotinally transformative time in your life. ((Hugs.))

    ReplyDelete
  43. Sally

    Forgive me for not visiting or posting here too regularly when you keep visiting mine and saying hi there. So much of your story with Hope echoes ours with Abigail. Who would want to be in this club but there is something positive about not being alone (even tho' you would never wish it on anyone!)

    I guess other parts of our stories are different. We are blessed to have a son who is about to turn 5. We are so grateful for him. But we cannot have more kids so Abigail was our last - no rainbow baby for us.

    That said I am delighted for your pregnancy and the little one soon to arrive. May everything go smoothly and you have that car seat full of a joyous bundle very soon on the way home from hospital.

    Take care and God bless

    ReplyDelete
  44. I hear you about the end of a pregnancy being a time of intense longing for the baby(ies) so longer here ... it was the same for me. I can only imagine that having your thoughts validated only makes it worse. I cannot wait until little Thumper is in your arms and you can breathe just a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Sending all of my thoughts towards you that your wish comes true.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Sally,

    Just stopping by to let you know I'm thinking of you and little Thumper, and hanging on to hope for you for his safe arrival. I wanted to send a little extra love your way too in these last few weeks.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hey Sally,
    just writing to say i'm thinking of you this weekend/week.
    tuesday may be a big day for both of us! tuesday comes first in Australia though!

    Big hugs to you and thumper!!

    jane

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hey Sall,

    Sending strength and hope and love and courage in this final stretch before you get to meet little Thumper. You are never far from my thoughts...

    x Suse

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved