Sunday, December 5, 2010

Almost perfect














Angus did indeed turn one a few weeks back. I know others who have walked this path have let out a sigh of relief once the big day passed. I think I did the same. It really feels like maybe, just maybe I will get to keep him now.

There was a time not so long ago when I never thought I'd get here. It was precisely two years ago, and things were very, very bleak in my life. There was no new baby in my arms, no new pregnancy and I thought there was absolutely no hope. Christmas was almost here, though I was having none of it, and I just wanted to crawl in a hole and never come out. We had a holiday in Hawaii to look forward to, which was in the following February, and little did I know that soon after we got home, Angus' pregnancy would begin.

To be honest, it was nine months of hell. I struggled to find the joy in it. Yes the kicks and squirms were reassuring and made my heart just about jump out of my chest, but there was not one point I could relax and just trust in it all. Trust in him. I had after all, lost Hope five days past her due date. I'd just spent the previous six wanting to get pregnant, that I didn't give much consideration to the fact that once I was, it was going to be one terrifying, crazy ride.

Still, I would not have traded it for the world. I knew how lucky I was and still am today. I've had the best outcome after the worst thing that can possibly happen to someone. Remaining a childless mother and never actually getting to mother would have been the most cruel blow.

I now realise what a big deal first birthdays are. I always thought some parents went a bit over the top, as it is not like the kid is ever going to remember any of it. But the thing is, the day is mostly for the parents, to mark the end of what is an incredibly difficult, yet joyous year - regardless of whether you're babylost or not.

And this has been a hard year. Hard, because I was totally unprepared for it, never really believing that Angus was going to arrive alive. Hard, because Angus has in fact been a tricky baby. Not always settled and happy, though his pictures tell a different story. Hard, because despite what many may think, I still have to parent two children. One doesn't take up any of my time, but she takes up my energy and heart space. Raising a live baby is tiring, but parenting a dead one can suck the absolute life out of you. On the days I just wanted to sit and wallow on the couch and drown in my own misery, as I'd easily been able to do for the 15 months before Angus arrived, I couldn't because Angus had needs, and lots of them - and I mostly had to be the one to meet those needs.

I still take baths most nights with Angus - just one ritual we've never been able to shake. And being a very cuddly and affectionate boy, I pulled Angus in close for another cherished cuddle in the bath just a couple of nights ago. This one seemed to last longer and feel nicer than any cuddle I've ever received from him. Each time I'd pull back to kiss his sweet little face, he'd pull me in closer again. Sometimes I do wonder what this kid knows, but in that moment, that's when I breathed the biggest sigh of relief. Possibly bigger than the one I let out when I first got pregnant with him, first heard a heartbeat, first got safely to the end of the pregnancy and first heard him cry at birth.

In some ways, I am amazed I made it through this year, with the little sleep all three residents of this household have had. But we got here in the end. And I couldn't be happier. With Angus here, we are leading an almost perfect life.

Happy birthday, sweetheart. Mummy loves you.

20 comments:

  1. Oh Sally this is so beautiful, I have tears streaming down my face (not a rare occurence, I know, but really, your words are so lovely, and the photos so gorgeous, and yes, it is only almost perfect, I know.) Angus is so lucky to have you as his mommy. Hope is so lucky to have you as her mommy. May the years ahead be full of love and joy and remembrance...

    with love,
    sarah
    (Oh, and I might add, I am lucky to have you as a friend in this journey. xo)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find what you have to say vitally important for me to hold on to if we make it home with a live baby. If we get to one year, knowing others have made it...parenting their live children and the ones that didn't get to come home too. That really stuck out to me...your parenting two children, and the different energies that takes.
    I'm sorry for rambling or if this doesn't make sense. But I appreciate this post and for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in tears reading this. My little one is turning one in a matter of days, and my what a year it has been. I'm right there with you on the struggle of parenting two children, even though one isn't here.

    You have a beautiful family! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday precious boy... may your life be filled with love, laughter, light and health. You are so beloved...

    Sally the pictures are absolutely beautiful- what a blessing he is. I can only imagine how much longing there was for this day- in so many ways. It is 'almost' perfect... I have to believe that Hope was able to see this celebration- to breathe it in and to know that all of the love you have for her baby brother is echoed through your love for her as well. SO much love to you.. L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost perfect. How true. What an absolutely beautiful post. Happy birthday to your gorgeous little boy. He is blessed to have you, as you are him xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angus is just so scrummy. A lovely lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday!

    But yes, raising a living baby is no mean feat, but raising a dead one is hard too, in such a different way.

    In honor of you giving such hope I give you this silly blog award! http://balloonnature.blogspot.com/2010/12/cherry-on-top.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, happy birthday Angus! And congrats to you. That first year is so wonderful yet so difficult. I think it's because by the time you figure out what works, the phase is over and they're on to the next thing we have to figure out :)

    I completely understand about parenting two very different babies--one living, one not. So tiring all the way around. I think you're doing really great. As perfect as can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is a gorgeous, gorgeous, boy.

    The first birthday rang with a lot of those same feelings for me, too. It's all so very bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sally, I just can't read anything you write without bursting into tears (in a good way, too, though!). Your son is so, so handsome and Hope so stunningly beautiful. I hate that we are on this journey together but so incredibly grateful at the same time. I relate to SO much that you say even though our stories are so different.
    It is so incredibly difficult to manage parenting a child that is alive and another(s) that is not.

    And Happy, happy birthday Angus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I am pretty sure the first birthday is about the parents.

    This first year is hard - and you are right about parenting after the death of a baby. It's hard.

    It helps to know other dbms on this parenting path... just like no one could understand us dealing with our grief.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy for you! Also, thank you for this post. I'm only 2 weeks in with raising Paisley, but I am still just as afraid that she's going to die now as when she was in my belly. I thought it would be a relief when she was born, and in a way it was, but I'm petrified of something happening to her now. Glad to know that I might someday...hopefully no more than a year later...feel like I might get to keep her.

    Thank you for continuing to write...you're my guiding light :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. happy birthday little angus, he's pretty cute looking i must say. i am about to enter into the year that you describe as being so difficult, there are a few women on here who have gone before me that i look up to as a source of strength, you are one of them sally, sending loads of love xxx anne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated birthday, Angus!
    Congratz Sally for making it through. You are an awesome momma to both your babies...

    Auntie Skytimes sends the best wishes over the ocean. Absolutely love the last picture... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, Sally. I'm so with you on now realizing the importance of first birthdays, and I'm so glad you were able to really celebrate.

    Angus is just such a gorgeous little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "One doesn't take up any of my time, but she takes up my energy and heart space." It is so hard for people to see this.

    But I don't want to be too melancholy, because a first birthday is a wonderful thing indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. He's gorgeous! I love th picture of him with the cake! Denis did the same thing. Wishing you much love and peace in this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still have yet to take that sigh of relief. I think I'm still afraid of SIDs, of Coop being taken away from me. Hopefully, when he turns a year old, I'll be able to breathe easy for once.

    Loved this post. And I love the pictures, thanks for sharing.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maybe once I reach a year with Lainey I will be able to breathe a little easier. Even though she is here I still worry that something might happen to her. I constantly check to see if she is breathing.

    I enjoyed seeing the pics of Angus for his birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, look at him, S. He's beautiful. Happy belated birthday, Angus. Beautiful post, S. XO..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved