Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Different

I've been sitting on the edge of 200 posts for a while now. So much time has passed since my last post, I wonder who out there is even reading any more and who cares?

But that's been half the problem. I know there are still a lot of readers out there, and many of them are people I know. People I never really wanted reading in the first place. And because of this, it has made it a hard place for me to visit and vent. Because there are things I'd like to talk about here but can't or wont because I know there are prying, judging eyes out there - eyes belonging to people who really should give me the privacy and respect my grief and I deserve. So instead I get my dose of "community" through reading and commenting on other blogs and connecting with other parents on F.book. And of course there is also the fact that time is precious these days and most of the spare time I have is spent chasing Angus or sleeping, but that doesn't mean I still don't feel that huge gravitational pull to come back here and write every so often. I don't really know why I am writing now though, but I guess I got to the point where enough was enough. So here I am.

**************************
After I lost Hope, I so desperately wanted to feel the same as anyone else I knew who'd had a baby. I shared her birth story with many dear friends who had already made the transition to motherhood in in the hope we could find similarities in our stories and that they would look at me just like one of them. I got pregnant, I carried a baby, I went in to labour, I pushed when I was told, I held my precious baby at the end of it all and I became a mum. I just wanted to be part of that tribe and I wanted to feel like them but from very early on, as early as seeing my dead baby on that ultrasound screen, deep down I knew how different I was.

For starters, I don't have any friends, or family, who have a photo of themselves looking like this holding one of their newborn children (thanks must go to another babyloss blogger for the inspiration and courage to share this photo):
This photo alone, almost impossible for me to look at, makes me so very different from everyone I know and with the more time that passes, I can't help but feel that gap widening. The memories of others fade, but I still nurture my hurt every day, even though they don't realise or acknowledge that. This adds to me feeling more and more isolated and so very different. The few who stand by me and who still ask how I really am now are the precious exception and are few and far between.

I don't try and pretend I am like anyone else now. I don't care if I don't fit in or seem different. I am different. My experiences are not like those of anyone else I know and I hope that gives me a level of understanding, empathy and perspective that I previously probably never had. I have lived through the unthinkable and I've somehow made it to two and a half years past that monumental time in my life with my sanity mostly intact. I'm not the wrecked, sobbing heap I was between the months of September 2008 and February 2009. If some had bothered to stick around that long, they would see that now. The edges have softened and so have I.

In some ways now, I am like everyone else, or I at least look that way. I have a very lovely little boy who keeps me busy like any regular toddler would. But there is that darkness in my past, a darkness that still lingers in my day to day and a darkness that I know will be part of my future, such is the nature of a loss like this. I can't pretend things are all sunshine and roses here with Angus in my life, I'm much more realistic than that, but the joy is there. And it is real.

That joy lives alongside the pain though. The exquisite pain that is moulded in to who I am. It is a part of me as much as the scar on my left shin is or my crooked bottom teeth. The pain and joy in my life walk hand in hand and somehow I am keeping them balanced. I don't really know how, but I am. I walk past other mothers in the street and I know for more reasons than one, I am not like them. And for now, that is ok. That is perfectly ok.

Naturally, more than anything, my greatest wish is still to have her back and to be an ordinary mum juggling two kids without the black shadows and the knowledge of how bad life can get. But that can't be. It will never be and maybe, just maybe, they call that integration. I would not say that I have accepted her death, as I fully admit I am not there yet, but the grief that followed has certainly slotted in to my day to day life now and for the most part, I know how to handle the wild and savage beast that it is.

Those mothers I pass in the streets may or may not notice I walk with a limp, but hey, I'm still walking. And I'm still here. And whoa, 200 posts.

45 comments:

  1. Trying to comment via phone...let's see what we get.

    I have a similar feeling (in brief spurts now but it's still there). I want to be a regular old mom with no memories of holding my dead daughter. That, of course, is impossible. So, my brain fixes on this notion that other people should acknowledge my differentness. I have no idea what I want from them, what type/level of humble worship would make me happy.

    I hope you can figure a way to continue writing here. Your honesty and insight is always helpful for me.

    Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that picture just breaks my heart. But I have a bunch of those, too -- no one should be holding an infant in tears but here we all are.

    I like your attitude -- that's it's ok to be different. I fought this for a v. long time, even though I like to claim I don't do denial. I really think it's the continued strength of this community that let me know it was ok to be different, and that actually I really wasn't that different after all.

    Wishing you the absolute best, and congrats on 200 posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sal. That photo is so very hard to take in but I am glad you posted it. It's real and raw and it lets us see your grief and the most powerful love any of us can ever know. I get it, as much as I ever can, I get it, you know that. And I am here for light and dark, grief and joy, being in the middle or on the edge, all of it my sweet friend. I feel different too, for different reasons of course but I do. Like someone on the outside looking in. Love you heaps xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank you for sharing your photo and like you I cannot often look at mine either. I have been wanting to write you a big long comment for quite some time until one day I got smart and realized you have an email. I am still working on that email, but I am so appreciative that you do come back to this space and write and share. I wish you were able to be more open and write as you wish, but I do understand about prying judging eyes. It hurts that the majority of the prying and judging are those who have no clue what it is to walk in these shoes. All my love to you mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on 200 posts.

    You are very brave and write beautifully. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im sorry you can't be as real as you want in your own space. I really can't with mine either as I know too many loved ones read it and if I posted some things id no doubt hurt feelings and I don't really feel like getting the kettle boiling.

    You pic tugs at my heart. Totally reminds me of a pic I have. The face just shows so many emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen this photo before Sal. It has ripped me apart. It is the most real, raw image of grief I have ever seen.

    I love you and Hope to the moon and back.

    Though I wish we never had to meet.


    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photo brought back so many of my own memories. Thank you for sharing such a painful and personal moment.

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your Hope with us. I haven't commented in a long time, but I've always found your blog to be very truthful and comforting. XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. That photo is beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful. It's hard to know the grief and heartache you felt, but that picture is of a dear sweet mother cuddled with her dear sweet daughter, and it is beautiful.

    And it breaks me. Because I've been there and I see that photo among the ones of my own. And it hurts to know those emotions and feelings and pain, and to know you went through them.

    Like you, I wanted to, somehow, be a part of that group. And, even now, with living children, I'm not. I cant be. I wont be. I'm too different. And I'm finally okay with that. But how we wish to belong and how we need to belong in the beginning of our grief journey.

    Sending hugs and so much love... So much...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Sally, that photo captures the sadness - it brings me back to that day myself. Thanks for sharing.

    2.5 years later and we are still standing, together.

    Love you tons. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am still here, I don't know your pain and I wont pretend to understand, but I do pray for you on a weekly if not daily basis.

    If anything you have taught me to hold my babies close!

    Hugs and even though you don't know me I am proud of you for stepping out and coming back here from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh sweet Sally this post just says it all for me right now.. but then you probably know that. I too have been angered to find out that certain people have found my blog and I grapple with the decision over whether or not to go private..
    It is such a delicate balance we walk in this life and I feel surrounded by those who truly understand and betrayed by those whom I thought would be able to stand by me. I imagine you can relate...
    You have been an beautiful source of that strength for me, and I appreciate each and every word you have shared. Know that your Hope is remembered both near and far in this vast world we live in. Your photo haunts me.. and for the second time this week I am brought to tears by all the pain it embodies.
    Thinking of you always...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sally,

    I cannot remember if I have ever posted a comment. I have started to comment at least a hundred times, no joke. I will get this far in typing and then just stop. Voices telling me that "my comment sounds stupid" or "I don't want to offend Sally." always stop me from clicking the publish comment button. I am a stranger. I dont know you personally. I have been following your story almost since the beginning. The whole heartbreaking, terrible, unfair, story. I come here often to see if you have written something. The reason why is because I care. I DO care. Is that weird? My heart has broken for you as a read your words. Tears have fallen from my eyes for Hope and all that was lost. And I don't even know you guys.

    Ok, here comes that urge to not click the publish button. I just wanted you to know.... that there are strangers out here, half a world away, that think of you and Hope every single day, even if some people that you know personally, do not.

    I am going to stop right there, even though I feel the need to ramble. Thank you for posting this. Hope is beautiful in every single picture I have seen.

    Sending love from the States,
    KA

    ReplyDelete
  15. Darling Sally, that photo just breaks my heart.
    Every word wriiten here is understood.x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for having the courage to post that picture. You have walked where so many others have have been and are still walking. And we are still out here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That photo is wonderful, because it is real. And any photo of your beautiful girl is worth posting.

    I will never say I understand your grief, because I have not been in your shoes.

    But I found your blog recently (and others you link to), and it has taught me so much about what grieving mothers like yourself go through.

    I wish no one had to try to understand, because I wish no one ever lost a baby.

    But I just wanted you to know that people still are interested in you, your family and how you live daily with your beautiful son in your arms and beautiful daughter in your heart.

    I also wanted you to know that you've taught me how to talk to my friend, who recently lost her baby. I'm very grateful for that, because I want to do all I can to be there for her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Sal. What Carly said. An amazing, sad, horrific, beautiful photo.

    Sometimes I think that when leaving hospital without your baby you should pass through a tattoo parlour and get your mark-of-the-bereaved-parent on your cheek.

    You know I'm still here.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have quite a few pictures like this of myself and my husband holding Lucy. Just writing that sentence, thinking about them, makes me bawl. I haven't cried in a few months, but just thinking about that moment, not fucking sure if I should smile for the camera with my newborn baby, or smash it into bits...wouldn't it be powerful to organize a blog walk of all those pictures? Just to explain to people who want to know what this is like. I am sorry this space feels compromised. I totally get that. And it sucks to create the space you are lacking and have it become unsafe. I wrestle with that as well. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Sal, I think you are very brave for sharing such an authentic, special picture. I saw it and sobbed - for you, for Hope, for me, for Emma, for all of us and all our babies.

    I am very glad you are still here - 200 posts ... whoa indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing this photo.

    I'm glad you write, I love reading your thoughts- you can put words to exactly how I feel.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for being such an inspiration... you are one of the bloggers who inspired me to tell my story. When I first read your blog, I could see how deep your love is for Hope and Angus. You are an amazing mum to them both... even though it's in different ways. Your strength is admirable and your never-ending remembrance of your daughter has been such a light be me... and I'm sure many others. I found your blog at a stage when I felt as though everyone else (except my husband and mother) had forgotten our little one... and at a time when I'm sure others thought I was crazy to still be thinking of her. You helped me find my voice again and for that I will thank you forever. You are a very special mum... a 'different' kind of mum of 2 maybe but in an amazing and compassionate way. Hope and Angus are very lucky. Thank you again for your inspirational words xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just looking at the photo makes me get all choked up.. if my 5 year old wasn't sitting here hanging off my arm, i'd be bawling! I have the same horrible pictures of myself and my husband with our boy. So so sad.. Today is 2.5 years for me, and it's still such a deep sadness. I imagine it will be even 30 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. very well said. I am only 2 months out but already feel so different from everyone around me, but am so grateful for the few friends I have that have been there for me through this emotional time.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  25. Always here, Sal.
    The first part of your post had me nodding along, as we do, as we've done now for coming up three (friggin) years. Totally get it. My blog is not the same place as it was, for similar reasons as you've given, and as you know I had to take it private. But now I've lost the support that it used to give me. The whole experience of someone abusing my trust has taken me to a bitter place too. Ridiculous given that it's a place that I managed to avoid for so long, but all because of that one person from my real life...

    And then I hit your photo and you had me. I lost it. Because I have that photo too. Different person, different baby, same raw and disbelieving grief. I don't visit those photos of mine much any more. I can't stand to see the pain on that person's face. Yet, who am I if I'm not that person? I guess I'm the one who has a practiced face in the mirror, to keep others who haven't been there in their little place of comfort.

    I miss your posts. I may be a bit behind you in the journey (why does that sound like a bad thing?) but you're one who seems to get where I am right now. That rainbows aren't all about smiles and 'getting over it'. That a "replacement" baby doesn't make it all better. It just seems to change the place to another lonely place.

    Hugs Sal... thinking of you often and just wish we were closer to hang out!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sally, that picture says so much. A big hug to you, my friend. Always glad to see you've posted again.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh gosh, that picture. I have several of those, and it always makes me think, "Who'da thought a face could REALLY show what's going on inside?" Massive hugs, and thank you so much for sharing that photo.

    So glad to have you here, as a fellow mama in mourning, someone who fits where I now fit. So sad that we got here how we did, though. Thanks for being real and for writing. Congrats on 200 posts.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This picture breaks my heart. I am so sorry, Sally. Thankyou for sharing it.

    I remember there being one picture taken of me holding Jordan in nicu that Aaron erased before I could see it. It was just too tortured, too sad. I wish he hadn't. Although sad, it was honest and real.

    Your love for Hope is so evident and so raw in this photo. Sending you many hugs, this must have been excruciating to process and publish today. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Sally,
    That photo is so beautiful in its pain and rawness. I want to say that you are not alone in the feeling that you carry something secret with you that is so powerful and that other people can't relate. We all carry something with us that makes us unique. Weather we were abused as a child or our baby almost died when they were born...or whatever. I don't think you should feel so isolated in your pain. We each have a story that makes us who we are and we care for each other no matter what that pain is. I don't know if that makes any since. I just don't want your burden to feel so heavy or lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Whoah. That picture takes my breath away, I actually had to glance away when I first looked, the pain is so raw and evident, and it struck me in the heart (physically); a reminder of my own pain at losing my daughter. If it's hard for me to look at, I can't imagine how difficult it is for you, so thanks for being brave ans sharing it.

    This was a poignant post, so beautifully written and seems to illustrate well where you are right now, thanks for sharing this part of your journey. 200 posts, well done. ~xx~

    ReplyDelete
  31. That picture is haunting Sally - so many emotions captured there in that precious moment of you holding your baby Hope. My heart breaks anew for you.

    I am so sorry that you feel compromised here. For myself too, as you have been a guiding light in my grief and I do miss your honest words and the thoughts it brings me - thank you Sally

    ReplyDelete
  32. That photo speaks so clearly and so loudly.

    ReplyDelete
  33. We are out here and so proud of your strength and courage.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That photo makes me feel sick with sadness, the emotion is so raw.

    I love your writing, I love reading your blog, and I love Hope and Angus even though I have not had the honour of meeting them.

    Keep writing Mama, you make a lot of sense. Congrats on 200 posts. xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. That picture is heartbreaking. I have trouble looking at the pictures of us sometimes as well - especially the ones of my husband.

    I wish you could be more open here. xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a heartbreaking photgraph, so much love and sadness.

    I also desperately wanted to be *normal* after I had the twins. But I'm not and I won't be. I like your choice of phrase, that I can 'integrate' what happened to a greater extent now. But it doesn't mean that I have to like it. Or even that I have to accept it.

    Limping along beside you and thinking of you and your family, your dear Hope and Angus xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have a picture like that too - it's the one where I look like a mother for the first (and only) time. A grieving, heartbroken mother.

    No - we're not like other people. And that is our journey.

    (and I'm glad you've posted - I've been thinking about you & family.)

    ReplyDelete
  38. My dear friend... that picture just tore me up. It says it all. Thanks for sharing.

    Limping right beside you. Much love! xo

    PS: Congratz on the 200 posts! May there be at least 200 more...

    ReplyDelete
  39. The pictures hurt, dont they? What courage you have, its so hard for me anymore to share those photos, I stopped feeling like I could share a long time ago. Hugs to you love

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love you Sal. That photo... well, I'm sobbing. x

    ReplyDelete
  41. I understand your pain as am going through it. Here's my blog.

    http://babywithlordkrishna.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. I can't even explain how much I relate to your feeling of growing isolation and separation between yourself and other people. I feel this everyday. It started out as something I couldn't put my finger on. A general unease, an awkward silence...now it has developed into something more fully fleshed out. I am different. " We" are different.
    I don't have a photograph like yours, although I'm sure if I did it would not look dissimilar. I have none of me holding my son unlike the majority of other parents with (living) children out there. As much as anyone else with a living baby considers their child "theirs," he is mine. I had a birthing experience too, like they did. It was horrible...and not just because of some problem with [insert relatively trivial issue here].
    But I'm different. Even though I am pregnant it doesn't erase the fact that I will always different. It is lonely. Which is where I guess blogs of other lonely, different people like me are the most helpful.
    Thank you for coming by my own piece of the internet and reading about George.

    ReplyDelete
  43. You are such an inspiration...Your story touches my heart. I lost my twin boys five months ago due to twin to twin transfusion. We are devastated beyond belief but know God is on our side. Thanks for the inspiration. Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you so much for having the courage to share the photo. There are many of us out here still reading (if not a bit slow to catch up! sorry!) and who still care about you.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you so much for having the courage to share the photo. There are many of us out here still reading (if not a bit slow to catch up! sorry!) and who still care about you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved