Monday, May 18, 2009

This feels big

Nine months since she died today. Nine months here. Nine months gone. This time nine months ago, at 40 weeks and 4 days pregnant, I was going to bed for the last time with Hope in my belly. She was already gone. I knew she was gone, but I chose not to be induced the same day I was given the devastating news, so instead I came home for what the stupid obstetrician suggested would be a "good nights sleep". I took a sleeping pill. I did not sleep. I was still in labour, I was still having contractions. I also took painkillers. Painkillers you would not give to a normal pregnant person. They did not help. I still felt those contractions. All of them.

So tomorrow marks nine months since her birth and the 12 week mark of this new pregnancy. The "safe" stage. Will I wake up tomorrow and all of a sudden breathe easier, because now the odds are really in my favour? I don't know, but I highly doubt it. Friday might make things easier, as that is when our 12 week ultrasound is. We hope to get good news, so we can move forward out of what has been one nightmarish fortnight.

It started with the dreaded Mother's Day, then two days later, my grandfather passed away. On Thursday, we said goodbye at his funeral. Really, it is ok though. 90 year olds are supposed to die. It was his time, and he was ready.

Honestly if I could script my life, I'd want it to run just like Grandpa's. It was so full, and interesting. And he died peacefully in sleep with his family by his side. You couldn't have written a better ending.

These last few days have also been rough, as the dates in May 2009 have aligned with August 2008. Hope died on Monday 18 April, it is now Monday 18 May. I was in labour from Friday 15 August, so since Friday I have been looking back and remembering those days. The anticipation. The excitement. The HOPE.

Each day I woke up in my stupidly long and utterly confusing labour (which I was constantly reassured by my not-so-caring midwives was NORMAL), I thought "today I am having a baby". When I woke up on the Monday, just hours before she passed without warning in my belly, something had shifted, almost as if I knew and I thought, "I don't think I am ever going to have this baby". Well I was wrong, I did have her. I just didn't get to keep her. That's now how it is supposed to work. This is not how I would have scripted my story.

When we left for hospital that day, I said I was not coming home empty handed this time. We'd been to hospital on the Friday but sent home - not "real" labour yet, I was told. But by Monday, I'd had enough and I was starting to panic. And I wasn't going to be sent home again. I came home that day, still with Hope. But she was not in my arms. Not strapped in the car seat. Her corpse was laying still at the bottom of my womb.

Was I still pregnant at that point? At the time, in such deep shock, it felt like the pregnancy had just ended, and she had gone away, evaporated. I could not imagine that the very next day, I would have to push her out of me. I would have to go through with the labour. All the hard work. But I was most certainly still pregnant. In that 24 hours I carried her dead body around, I still had trouble getting up off the couch. I still could not see my toes in the shower. I still needed to get up and pee three times a night. My back still hurt. But it would all be for nothing.

People keep saying to me in the midst of the pregnancy symptoms I am now experiencing, that it will all be worth it in the end. I am struggling to believe it. I know I said I would try and be more positive, but with Grandpa's passing, a difficult funeral (in that I saw dozens of people I have not seen in many, many months and most said nothing, and those who did brave me all said the wrong thing) I am slipping again. Most babies live, most babies live. Babies dying is not normal.

I just need to get to Friday. I just need to get past it. Everything is on hold, until that point.

Then I guess the wait begins again. Wait to 20 weeks until we can get another sneak peak at this baby. All the while knowing, at no point am I really safe.

I now know people who have lost babies at 17 weeks, 20 weeks, 24 weeks, 30 weeks, 33 weeks, 42 weeks and in the weeks and months after birth. But I also know people who have had babies at various early gestations, and those babies have survived, against all odds. Most babies live. Most babies live.

Statistics did nothing for me last time around, but I have to try and believe they will work in my a favour this time. Babies dying is NOT normal.

So tomorrow will mark nine months, and it does feel big, too big for me really. The most significant milestone I have passed yet. And I guess from this point, it is all downhill until the big one year mark. I have no idea what to make of that. Nor do I have any idea what to do with myself on the day. Back in the early days, I'm not sure I thought I would make it. I read the blogs of others who had, but for me it seemed so, so far away. Now I can almost taste it and it is most certainly not pleasant.

But thinking about anything too big for now is temporarily on hold. Just gotta get me to Friday. Just gotta know this baby is ok. Again. I want to feel safe. I want somebody to tell me it is all going to be ok.

36 comments:

  1. I'm sorry these milestones and your grandfather's passing all come on top of each other. One more thing seems like too much, and then another, and then Mother's Day...it is so fucking unfair.

    I want to promise you that everything is going to be okay, but we both know that I can't. But what I can promise, beyond a doubt, is that no matter happens, you will not be alone. I will always be here to listen, Sally. You are loved, and so is Hope and so is your little growing flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your Grandpa, whether it is still sad whether someone has had a long life or not. I find funerals deeply upsetting now, I think for me every funeral is Jacob's funeral all over again. I think in truth it is him I'm weeping for at these other funerals. Makes it sound like I always go to funerals, I don't ;o)

    I found it really hard when the days and the dates aligned. Really bloody hard, I think I relived everything in minute detail over those days.
    I hope Friday comes round quickly and you get to breath a sigh of relief when you see your little one wriggling round the screen. For me thos, but they managed to buoy me on and keep me going to the next milestone, then the next and yeah you know...

    Wishing nothing but good news for you Sally x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sally, what an unbelievable amount to have to process and deal with. Can I say that whilst I don't pretend to even know what you are going through, you are so, so gifted a writer that I understand, even though I don't "get it." You know I think of you every day and even though we have never met (though I hope one day we will) I am sending you my love. And you will get to Friday. You absolutely will. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Sally I SO want to tell you it's all going to be ok. My Mum thinks I shouldn't tell anyone until 12 weeks next time but at 12 weeks George was "safe".

    That was the hardest "anniversary" of all, not George's due date but realising he'd been dead longer than he'd been alive.

    My gut feeling is that you and little flower will do just fine but we all know there are no guarantees.

    Love to you

    xxx

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine how hard these days have been for you, to be going through so much all at one time.

    So in these long days, know that so many are thinking about you, your little flower growing within, and Hope, sweet Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you, Sally. This is a big, hard milestone.

    I'm holding you in my heart and hoping you get some reassurance Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sally, I'm sorry to hear that your Grandpa has died, but glad that he had such an amazing life.

    I just read your whole post nodding and crying. I'm with you girl. It's all about the 'this time last year' stuff for me at the moment, as you know.

    Sweetsalty Kate wrote something to me on the glow message board when I was earlier in my pregnancy which really helped me. I was feeling terribly guilty to the 'new' baby that I was feeling so sad and negative:

    'Iris's energy, her soul (whatever framework feels most fitting to you) understands, and sits with you - as does the energy and soul of this new son. He understands too. Your love and your history is already weaved into him - and he's okay with you holding this grief as he grows. It's as much a part of his own heritage as it is a part of yours, and he's an ancient thing already, as Iris is. You're mother to both of them and they give you permission to be whom and how you need to be.'

    Sorry about the essay. Thinking of you as always xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remembering Hope with you today.

    I wish I could say all will be well, but I wont lie and say things I dont yet believe in my own life. But I am hopeful. I truly, truly pray that your pregnancy and mine end the "normal" way and that we dont go through this hell again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nine months was unexpectedly hard point for me too, and I didn't even have a Mother's day or beloved grandfather's funeral in the mix. Though days of the week aligned for me too just then, for the first time. Someone very wise, and a few years ahead of me at this thing, said then that grieving in the first year seems to be marked by the familiar trimester milestones. And we expect nine months to be the delivery date. But of course with grief, it just isn't.

    Thinking of you and yours, and wishing that Friday comes quickly for you, and with good news.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much going on in your life Sally, so many big things. I'm hoping Friday gets here soon for you, and that this wave of pain lessens a bit with its arrival.

    There's something unbelievable about the 9 month mark, 9 months in and 9 months gone. I'm not even at 4, but I dread the 9. Every day after that means Cayden's been gone longer than he was here.

    Thinking of Hope and of you and little flower and sending you all so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so sorry about your grandfather. it seems like, at times like this, life should give us a break. no more tragedies until we've "recovered" (ha, ha) from the last one... thinking of you and your new little one this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sally, i'm with you. 9 months for me too. that's all i've been thinking about these last few days. since we don't even know the exact day that lev died it could have been any of these last ones. i've been reliving those moments of his death and birth and all the shock and trauma. it's so strange that this marks the time they have been alive and dead equally. but our babies lives are so much more than those 9 months. they will be in our hearts, minds, consciousness and part of our new families for the rest of our lives.

    keep up your mantra 'most babies live' it's true.

    sending you love

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man I felt like I was reading my own thoughts. I try to remind myself, babies dying is not normal, it's just not normal. And this is what I try to cling to the next 8-9 weeks. "most babies live, most babies live, not all babies die, ONE of my babies have to live" if I don't repeat that over and over I just may go insane.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry about your grandfather. Sometimes it's just all too much to handle. Please know that we are here, thinking about you and praying for you.

    I couldn't tell you what the date is on most any given day. I can barely tell you whether it is the beginning, the middle, or the end of the month. If I really think about it, I suppose that's my own way of denying time passing. I don't have to look at these milestones if I have no idea they've arrived. By no means is this a suggestion. After all, who needs one more form of psychosis? :)

    I will be hoping, wishing, praying and anything else I can muster that you bring this healthy baby home in your arms when the time is right.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry about your Grandpa and the timing of it all. It's alot right now.

    Be as positive as you realistically can be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Sally, this is big. And don't discount your grandpa's death; even when death comes after a long live well lived, it's sad. And one grief can stir up another.

    Hope you get good news on Friday and that it does indeed make things easier. Day by day, you'll get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sally - you are such an amazing, gifted writer. I read your posts and "feel" everything with you.

    I'm sorry the last few weeks have been especially difficult for you. Everything seems to come at us at once, doesn't it? Tomorrow is big, huge. I will be remembering Hope with you.

    Hang in there... xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. These milestones sure suck. I would rather be watching my son take his first few steps right now, as I'm sure you would too. Are you considered a "high risk" pregnancy, considering your previous history? Maybe you can request more ultrasounds, or more frequent appointments. They also have fetal doppler monitors on amazon.com for $100, maybe you can get one to listen to the heartbeat between appointments? I'm planning on getting one of those the next time I get pregnant, for ease of mind.

    ((hugs momma)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Funsize, I will be considered high risk this time, more for emotional reasons. Physically, there is no increased risk of the same thing happening again. It was like lightning. I will be getting more ultrasounds, more frequent appointments, more monitoring towards the end - all the things I should have had last time. Hopefully this can make a difference this time around. And yes, now that I am 12 weeks and dopplers can be used with more success, I am looking in to buy one! I might not ever put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am sorry about your Grandpa.

    And it will be ok. You just have to keep telling yourself that to get through another day.

    9 months is hard. It's hard to move on knowing she has been gone longer than she was with you. She is loved and missed though and will never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thinking of you Sally and of your grandpa and of Hope and of course of this new little one who Ihope dances a mighty jig for you on that screen the next time you take a peek so you can have that to hold onto until you are able to feel a little nudge every now and again that tells you everything will be ok.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Had a big comment here for you Sal but it kind of turned into a huge blog post about how I am feeling.

    In essence, yep, wait till Friday. I reckon things will pep up a bit after that. Watching my baby getting jiggy with it 'did' something to me...

    We'll talk, soon.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sally I feel your every word. Nothing is safe in this world and that sucks. It is so hard to move past the success of others when all you wanted was Hope. I wish she was with you but believe she will be helping you through this somehow.

    Think fond thoughts of your Granfather and Hope walking together hand in hand. Sometimes thoughts like that that get me through the days. Although I am not that religious I have to believe our Angel Babies are somewhere.

    Good luck on Friday. Will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh sally, what a sad sad time. i'm so sorry. i know how you are feeling because i'm feeling it too. again i have no words. just know you are always in my thoughts.
    lots of love to you,simon,hope and the new little one. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I cant for the life of me, even begin to imagine what goes inside of you. Miles of hurt loss and pain to deal with. But Simon and you are doing so well being with each other and being a support. You guys teach me to hang in there, and to live and love. Be well for your little flower.

    All my love,

    T

    India

    ReplyDelete
  28. Most babies live...I like that and it is true. Always thinking of you, Sally. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  29. ((hugs))
    Thinking of you Sally.
    Statistics do nothing for me these days... but yes, most babies live.
    Big love to you, I think of you often,.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sally,

    You have had so much to contend with - 9 months feels really big to me too. I truly hope your nightmarish fortnight is at an end and that tomorrow marks the beginning of a "lighter" time.

    love
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love reading your blog and hate it for all the same reasons. Its so raw, painful, beautiful and moving... if that makes any sense. I admire your ability to be so open about your true feelings and fears.

    How very lucky this baby is to have you as its Mommy, Simon as its daddy and beautiful, sweet Hope as their angel sister. That's one powerful guardian angel... trust her to watch over you and this new life! She's sitting with the ultimate angel, so she can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So sorry to hear about your grandfather passing. I too am struggling this pregnancy. The odds and statistics mean...nothing. I think I will take on your chant though. Most babies live, most babies live, babies dying is NOT normal. I pray the universe is on our side this time. It has to be, right? Or at least that is what everyone is telling me.

    ReplyDelete
  33. ((((hugs)))) Your story is powerful. I'm just so sorry. I wish I could tell you that it will be OK. If only. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nine months IS big. For me, it felt big because it meant that 1 year was just around the corner.

    I like your mantra. I may have to borrow it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sally, how are you travelling, thinking of you love Louisa

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sally,

    I am so sorry I have been absent and missed your Hope's 9 months. Sorry, my sweet friend.

    But every day I drive along 'Hope Street' here in my neighbourhood and I think of you and your Hope. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved