Thursday, November 3, 2011

Healing

Strangers sometimes turn out to be the best friends. I have had so much support from wonderful strangers in the past three years. People who I have never met who I may likely never meet often say just the things you need to hear at the exact moment you need to hear them.


As anyone who reads here knows, I had a lot of people fall out of my life when Hope died. Very close friends, run of the mill acquaintances, ex-colleagues, distant family members and a great many on the periphery of my life. Many departed my life because I suspect the intensity of my grief in the early days was just too much for them. And because they didn't like the way in which I was coping, or perhaps not coping, with my loss. My great, great loss. It is a shame, really. Because those intense, early days were so short lived. It was just six months later that I fell pregnant with Angus. And when I did, the intensity abated, my grief changed. And when he arrived, more so again. Then when I fell pregnant with Juliet, of course my grief shifted again, and now that she's here, everything is completely different. As I keep saying, I'm still dreadfully sad, but the overwhelming happiness in my life balances things out and smooths over many of the bumps. In the great scheme of my life, the time where I was most un-loveable and so incredibly hard to handle was such a tiny blip. Yet people couldn't wait. They couldn't just wait.


It has been more than three years since Hope left us, and all the while, I have been healing. Slowly but surely, whether I wanted to or not, I have been healing. I will never be fully healed, for that is not possible, but I am working towards a place where I feel more at ease. More at peace. I am getting there and I am doing so at my own pace.


I am sharing a poem today sent to me by a lovely stranger-friend. A social worker for parents of lost babies who lives in another state. She's followed my blog silently for a while now (as well as many of your blogs) and she sends the odd email here and there. She has even called me a few times to check in on how I'm doing. She doesn't know me, yet she cares about me, and she remembers Hope. People like these make up for all the people who once mattered to me who walked away. Thank you, Deb.


The Intention 
for Miriam
 
Healing is both an exercise
and an understanding
and yet not of the will
nor of the intention.
 
It is a wisdom 
and a deeper knowledge
of the daily swing
of life and death
in all creation.
 
There is defeat
to overcome
and acceptance of living
to be established
and always
there must be hope.
 
Not hope of healing
but the hope which informs
the coming moment
and gives it reason,
The hope which is
each man’s breath,
the certainty of love
and of loving.
 
Death may live
in the living
and healing rise
in the dying
for whom the natural end
is part of the gathering
and of the harvest
to be expected.
 
To know healing
is to know that
all life is one
and there is no beginning
and no end
and the intention is loving

~ Margaret Torrie ~

16 comments:

  1. That's beautiful. And yes, although it felt like that intense grief where I couldn't think of anything else would last forever, it didn't.

    Though - in some ways I miss it. Today my thoughts are swinging between buying shoes for Max, what to cook for dinner, when will he have a sleep to this time two years ago. It feels strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was curious to see what you had to say about healing. It's still a word that I struggle with, mostly because I feel the need to clarify that healing doesn't mean all better and healing experiences aren't cure alls. I think I've gotten over the word strong, but healing is still a touchy one for me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is for me too, Sara.
    I see it as an on-going process, one with no end date.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written.

    I remember that intensity, and commenting to someone that I just wanted to be zipped magically into a years time from then, to skip it all. She wisely told me that even if I could, I still had to go through what I was going through. It doesn't last forever, nobody could keep going with that sort of intense emotional time and survive.

    As I see it, healing means to get better, but that does not mean the same as cured. I think of this grief like an operative or burn scar. It is still there, but it is healed as it is no longer open, oozing or bleeding. But it is most definitely still there and visible, it still hurts when you think about it and will remain part of you for all of your days.

    Wonderful poem
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing.. it is a lovely poem. So many of the strangers I have met along the way have turned out to be the most amazing people I now refer to as friends.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, healing is a word I struggle with too (along with brave), but I get this, I am healing despite myself. I feel like that scar is there, visible, and sometimes a little pink and sore along the edges, sometimes it even opens a little, and it's hard not to poke at it because sometimes I need to be close to her, and that pain sometimes feels like all I have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think of healing as being cured... more like dealing. So when we say we are healing, its more that we are finding our way easier to manage... life is livable again. I get you Sal. I feel the same way.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I am in the process of healing...maybe forever, but it is good to see positivity and joy and hope and love in such abundance in your life. I see them too but my pain is so acute that is distracting me from the beauty, maybe it always will, but right now there are so many tears. I was thinking about people falling out of your life and right now it is happening to me. I don't know whether to just let it happen, confront it, let it go. It is frustrating and sad and pisses me off simultaneously...I keep thinking of your words. "Yet people couldn't wait. They couldn't just wait." AND yet for me it is not the waiting I want, but the abiding. The effort to show they actually care. Not just a phone call, what about showing up at my house and talking over tea damnit...MY DAUGHTER DIED. It seems like so little to ask.
    I wonder if my mother thinks she is still healing after her son died 27 years ago? I should ask her. I really like the poem and think it is lovely that you have gotten phone calls from people over the years. I have yet to physically connect to another BLM. I am sending you love and healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the poem, thanks for sharing Sally. I get this. I struggle with the concept of healing, because on the one hand, I feel okay but then the other part of me wants to scream that I still miss him and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him and my thoughts turn to that awful/beautiful day in August when I pushed him out of my body and he was put upon my body and the room was so fucking silent. I have learned to live with it, I have learned to accept it, but I am never going to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always have to remind myself that healing does not mean forgotten. It means that we deal with the everyday better than the day before. We can count our blessings and enjoy the joys of life all the while missing him or her or them.

    Beautiful piece about true friends. Wonderful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing, Sally. This is a beautiful poem and a wonderful true sentiment. It is the living with the hurt and making it work in my life that brings, if not healing, then a sort of salve over the wounds.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in the same mind as Sophie; dealing with life now, rather than healing - I'm always going to have an Elizabeth hole in my heart.

    The poem is beautiful, thank you for sharing Sally.
    What a wonderful notion; there is no beginning and no end, and the intention is loving

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Yet people couldn't wait. They couldn't just wait."

    What a nice poem shared by Deb. Thank God for people and strangers like her. Strangers who care and reach out...

    You be good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely poem. I'm glad you are healing and I'm sorry some of the people in your life couldn't support you through the hard times. Luckily you have found others to take their place who will always be there to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful poem... it's amazing how strangers can be so touching and understand - I never really knew until I started blogging. I love how you describe slowly healing and doing it in your own time... so important. Love to you always xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been reading every one of your posts. I haven't been commenting. I read them at school on my lunchbreak and hesitate to log in. I guess I'd get in trouble either way. Anyway, even though our stories aren't really the same, I've always felt like I agree with practically everything you say. That hasn't changed. Juliet is beautiful. I wish Hope was here, too.
    that is a beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved