There is so much carry on about the so called "mummy wars" in the press of late, and quite frankly, I've had enough.
Tuesday's Hope has always been a place where I have written about Hope, and how she fits in to our lives both pre and post the live babies of mine safely arriving earth side. I don't often write about my trials and tribulations of parenting them, because it has just never felt right, but today I am going to go there.
I know these so called "wars"are taking place as I generally get sucked in and read all about them, but I'm never participating, just sitting on the sidelines shaking my head, wondering how on earth we got to this point.
Why, as mothers, are we doing this to ourselves? Why can't we just accept that we're all doing the best job we can with the tools we have available to us? Unless you are harming your child in any way, I really don't care how you're doing things, as long as your kids are loved.
I also refuse to be labelled. I mostly adhere to the principals that "attachment" type parents would follow but I'll be damned if anyone is going to give what I do a name. I'm simply doing what feels best for me and my babies. Call it attachment, call it instinct, call it what you will but I just call it parenting.
I breastfeed, on demand and for a bit longer than what is deemed normal, yet for the time being, that hasn't strayed too far in to toddlerhood. Angus weaned himself at 15 months when I was 15 weeks pregnant with Juliet and never had a bottle of formula in his life, and only a dozen or so bottles of expressed milk, all in the first three months of his life. Juliet is still going strong at 11 months, with no real sign of stopping and she's never had a bottle at all - of formula or expressed milk. I really don't want to feed her past the age of two though, so we'll just see where things head for the next 12 months. I feed inside, outside, in parks, in cafes, on trams on trains and have done so in an aeroplane - if the baby is hungry, I feed the baby. I don't cover up but I also don't flash myself about. Mostly I just don't give a damn what anyone thinks. We're talking about a hungry baby for crying out loud. But breastfeeding is hard, no doubt about that. It took a good 12 weeks for it to click with Angus and I and probably two weeks with Juliet. A lot of my best friends formula feed, as does my sister. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. There is no judgement here - just feed the baby. That is all.
My kids wear cloth nappies, but at night they were a disposable. I think the amount of poo thrown away in disposable nappies in to landfill is yuck and like trying to do my bit for Mother Nature by reusing the same nappies on both my kids over and over and over again. Plus they look cute and save us a crap tonne of money, pun intended.
Both kids have been in and out of our bed. Sometimes by design, sometimes by default. Sometimes it has been nice to have them there, sometimes not. When it works, they stay in, when it doesn't, in to their own bed/room they go. But for the first 3-4 months with both of them, they slept right by my side. We've never done any form of controlled crying, and never intend to, but that said, both babies have grizzled themselves to sleep as there is a difference between crying and a bit of whinging as they nod off.
I make all of my own baby food and I'm still very strict about the treats Angus is allowed to have. I posted on Facebook earlier this year that I wasn't giving him any chocolate at Easter and you'd think I'd have said I was amputating his left arm. He's had McDonalds maybe three times in his life, but he's never had a glass of soft drink. Not ever. And that aint about to change any time soon!
I wore/wear my babies in slings but I also use a pram. They are heavy kids and I can't be carrying them everywhere all the time. I live in a hilly neighbourhood and I go for long walks, so Angus can get tired. And I also use the pram as my vessel for carrying groceries home. My back is also shot after three babies in three years and even the comfiest of carriers is not going to save it carrying a near 12kg 11 month old around. For the first four months of Juliet's life though, she spent a lot of time sleeping in the Moby or Hug-a-bub and they were my most treasured parenting tools.
I'm a full time stay at home mum and neither of my kids have ever been in to any form of childcare. Angus starts three year old kinder next year and will be gone for three hours, two mornings a week and that will be the first time he's ever been away from me with someone he doesn't know. We have a strong bond, but I also know that this special time for us together at home is drawing to a close, and I'm excited about all that is ahead for him. Juliet may at some point end up in some form of care, but there are no firm plans for that yet. It is tough to be home on one income, super tough, but I'm happy to make sacrifices to make it work for the time being and Simon is also incredibly supportive and grateful, which makes a huge difference.
I vaccinate. On schedule. All needles, all of them time. I won't ever budge on this and feel strongly about my decision to protect my children in this way. End of story.
I think natural birth is the ideal thing to aim for when pregnant, but I've had two elective caesareans and make no apologies for that. I have two very healthy children and even though I've felt what it is like to push a baby out of me, that is hardly a memory I look back fondly on.
So that's me. That's how I'm doing things. I'm not asking for praise, a pat on the back or a medal. It is hard work, that's for sure, but it is for all of us, no matter what way we do things. And by listing what I do, I am not trying to make anyone else feel bad/guilty or like a failure. I am telling my story here and mine alone.
I think having had a baby die I can see very clearly that none of this really matters. Because fuck, if your kids are alive, then that's half the battle won. When I see mothers pitted against each other in trashy news reports and articles in this way I just get sad, as I feel so many of them just don't know how lucky they are that their babies are damn well alive. I would happily feed Hope formula, jars of pureed food and use disposable nappies day and night if I could have her back.
If there is any label I have as a parent, that is the "dead baby mum" label. A label I so wish I could shake but I know this is the label that shapes all of the decisions I make and is the reason I do many of the things the way I do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






I am completely in awe of your breastfeeding prowess...so glad for that.
ReplyDeleteI hear you on the mummy wars.
I love this post. Holding strong that if you have a living baby - don't complain or try to prove anything. You (generally speaking) have what so many people are trying for or lost. Be happy with your choices... as they are just yours, and you are the biggest impact on you own reality. (I don't know too much about the mommy wars your referring to - but that's my contribution to that!)
ReplyDeleteI agree with so much of what you've posted. Especially the sans soda/pop in your childrens lives.
D has (now) 6 nieces and nephews... and there was a constant struggle to aid in the caregiving roles when grandparents and parents were around. If I am watching a 3 1/2 year old, I will not give them coke - no matter how much mommy allows it. Sorry - I just wont say yes...
Now that my baby died... what do I know? I feel the label at times when I'm making a decision on how to properly keep two 3 1/2 year olds, 4 and 5 year old contained when their parents are off trying to get a bite at the dinner table.
At that age, kids will scream, wail, "fake" cry and put on the works to get their way. I see right through the act, and carry on having a grand ole time with whom ever is still up for the game regardless if their particular toy needed to be shared.
Ever since my baby died, I have intentionally pulled back in playing the "childless aunt". I've always held my shit together when watching the kids, and only ever had a great time doing it. But now, I feel an external monitoring from parents to make sure I'm ok. To make sure that I don't get "overwhelmed".
Children don't overwhelm me. Bad parenting does.
It sounds like you're doing great. All the things I saw myself doing. Kudo's to you Sally
this article sums up all the reasons I love you Sally.
ReplyDeleteI am the same way, just trying to do MY BEST for MY KIDS and don't have the time or energy to sit around judging others for their parenting choices.
I didn't
Also, as an aside, I told my hubs that my kids don't get soda till they are over ten. I don't, and even then just as a special treat.
I have no idea what *i didn't meant up there... Little girl interrupted me mid thought haha
ReplyDeleteI hate the mommy wars too, and also have felt dragged into them from time to time. Honestly, I feel totally in between labels, though I feel most closely aligned with attachment parenting too. In America, we also have the circumcision debate, which is terrible. And that is one that I cannot believe people have asked me about, commented about, told me I was wrong to not circumcise Thor. WHO CARES ABOUT MY CHILD's PENIS BUT ME AND MY CHILD?!? I am not going to get into that debate, but just saying that I agree. It is hard. When I had Beezus, I felt it very pointedly, and I was insecure about parenting, so I agreed with people I didn't really agree with. I tried things I wish I hadn't tried, like crying it out. I hated those three or four nights, and wished I ignored people who suggested it, but I thought they must know better than me. IN the end, I had to trust my instincts and know that I did know best for my children. You just have to do what is best for everyone in your family. Our family bed has been wonderful. Some nights, I get a knee to the chin, but most it is just lovely. You have to do what is best for your family, your belief system, your socioeconomics...I feel lucky to stay home with my kids. And I also am aware that not every family has the luxury to make that choice. So, I also realize my parenting choices are made from a place of privilege too.
ReplyDeleteAnd the breastfeeding...ooof. I am still breastfeeding Thor at two plus years. Not every day, but a few times a week. Child-led weaning for my boob obsessed boy...heh heh.
I love this post! Beautifully said! We Mama's all play for the same team and the wars are unnecessary and hurtful. I love how you laid it all out on the line.
ReplyDeleteI love this post. I wanted so much -- maybe too much -- to make the "best" choices for Eliza and she still didn't make it. I am trying to do much the same for Caroline, but it's different. Life and death stakes matter. Everything else? Not so much.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, I'd pour my money into disposable diapers and formula and jarred baby food if I could have Eliza back.
Yeah, the mommy wars - I try and ignore them and just try and do what works for us. I find the people who are so aligned to one side or another (and defend them loudly) come across as sanctimonious which I think is my least favourite characteristic.
ReplyDelete"Unless you are harming your child in any way, I really don't care how you're doing things, as long as your kids are loved."
ReplyDeleteYup.
One of the important parenting lessons I learned early on is that it isn't about the one right way to do things, but the right way for you and your family, which will depend on a number of factors including finances and physical ability and health and each particular child. I think we both practice Doing the Best I Can with What Works for My Family parenting. There's my label, I guess.
The only label that I will accept is Mom. I agree with all that you have written your children are very lucky to have you. The thing that frustrates me the most is how Moms create these wars with other Moms. We need to support each other and avoid the constant judgement. I use disposable, I will be returning to work shortly because I spent a lot of money for my education and heck I like working. But I have someone who comes to my home so my baby will not have to go to daycare. That is my choice but that does not make me wrong. I try to do as much as I can that is healthy and right. My children do not drink soda and I try to feed them healthy food but we are busy and sometimes we eat out. I breastfeed, I cosleep, I use store brought products. I am not perfect and I make mistakes. The choices I make are because of what I feel is right for my children. They are thriving and growing.
ReplyDeleteI love my children deeper and stronger after the loss of our son. And I don't care who thinks I am doing it wrong. We are surviving and they know I love them and that is all that matters.
I totally agree with everything you said. I've always had opinions. I fall pretty well into attachment parenting arena. Bradley method birth, We just bought a king size bed to accommodate all these bodies and Kai breast fed for over 3 years. None if this was planned. Many of our original choices were compromises between D and I as parents and some came from a place of survival after Camille died. My thoughts and feelings about parenting remains the same as it did before Camille died but the judgement of how other parents parent has left. It just doesn't matter as much when you break it down to the simplicity of alive or dead.
ReplyDeleteSo much of this is me too. I've surprised myself by co-sleeping and have no real plans to stop any time soon. I love breastfeeding and while my mother swears I'm spoiling her, I kinda feel like I'm spoiling myself because it's just so much easier to whip out a boob than it is to whip up a bottle. That being said, I whip up a bottle of formula if my milk isn't enough to satisfy the baby.
ReplyDeleteI make no apologizes for my c-sections either. Being a BLM sweeps all my best intentions out the door. Living baby > all else.
So much of this is me too. I've surprised myself by co-sleeping and have no real plans to stop any time soon. I love breastfeeding and while my mother swears I'm spoiling her, I kinda feel like I'm spoiling myself because it's just so much easier to whip out a boob than it is to whip up a bottle. That being said, I whip up a bottle of formula if my milk isn't enough to satisfy the baby.
ReplyDeleteI make no apologizes for my c-sections either. Being a BLM sweeps all my best intentions out the door. Living baby > all else.
This is just perfect. It makes me want to scream when I read about these "wars' we are supposedly, as women, waging with each other. Who, exactly, are the generals in this war? I blame the media, pandering to both "sides" to get a rise out of people, to read their stupid "articles' and websites.
ReplyDeleteKeep your kids happy, healthy, alive and yourself sane in the process. This is kind of my overarching theme of life :)
Love to you.
xo
Carleigh dying changed my parenting. It just gives you a whole different outlook. I don't understand why people have to fuss over how they raise their children. Like you said, who cares as long as the child is happy and loved!
ReplyDeleteTotally with you on the 'why are women such bitches to other women' bandwagon. I don't believe any of this existed when our parents were new parents. People just did the best they could with what they had. All of these tribes of obsessive parents do my head in. Imagine if they spent all the that emotional time and energy they currently spend defending/promoting their parenting practices on their actual children! The world would surely be a better place.
ReplyDeleteI don't know what my parenting style is/would be. I never got the chance to find out. That's what I think of when I read articles about the mummy wars. I think 'well, wouldn't it be nice to be given a live baby that you get a choice how to parent'. I didn't get any choices. Max just bloody well died, no matter how much organic pumpkin or iodine-rich breast milk I would have eventually fed him. So yeah, sometimes I just wish all the women of live babies would shut up and just get on with enjoying the children they so fortunately have in their arms. . .
I love hearing your thoughts, Sally. Thanks for this post.
Yes. Yes. Yes.
ReplyDeleteDo what is best for you and your family. That's how I try respond when people start passing around suggestions or opinions for these mommy wars.
I think what I've found to be the hardest opinion for me to ignore is the doctor - in our rural area, cutting short the bfing and jumping into solids is the norm. By 9 months I was getting questions about stopping. I just depended on people like you here online, and the LLL to help remind me I wasn't a nutcase. We stopped at 14 months, but I might have gone longer had I gotten support from the medical professionals.
Glad for your post. And for you. <3
I agree completely as well. I think in our case, it mattered more in the early days. I felt insecure and judged by others, especially back when I was the only one in my social circle making the choices I did and parenting the way we were.
ReplyDeleteAs time goes by, that type of stuff seems to matter less and less. Both of my kids finally weaned (whew, at around 3+ years old each), both have been out of diapers for ages now, so that isn't pertinent to life right now. We do tend to play musical beds in this house and I know that often raises an eyebrow with friends, but hey, this is my family, not theirs. And my children's vaccination status is between our family and their doctor, and is no one's business really. So, preoccupation with repelling dipes or types of formula for supplementing has been replaced with what's in canteen food, battles over what goes in the lunch box, and the amount of time they spend playing video games.
I do think that I have mellowed a lot since LM came along. Things became less black and white and more "whatever works, go with it." Ha, he never even slept in a crib...just a variety of (safe) beds in the house.
I would probably tell my younger self that none of those labels or banners meant anything. And to disregard anything that doesn't feel right. I look back on the times I followed societal-accepted and grandmotherly wisdom on things like scheduling and controlled crying with Naya (which was a traumatic experiment not only for her but me as well--man, it probably sowed the seeds for her anxiety issues, who knows) and if I had to do it again, I'd emphasize going with my own instinct. It was usually the right course of action, not some one-size-fits-all parenting fortune cookie clap trap spouted by so called experts.
I have found myself parenting in ways I never thought I would have. But it is what works for her and for us right now. Some attachment-style things work for us and some don't and since there are three of us (and a missing 4th) in the equation, sometimes the way we parent is different from the way I would parent if it were all up to me.
ReplyDeleteWhich brings up a question I have about the mommy wars - it isn't just the mom parenting in my house & I don't think this my house is all that unusual, so why this particular label? "Mommy wars" makes parenting seem petty and it's outdated as hell. I hate it almost as much as "mommy porn."
I love this post... it is so true! You would think the fact that we are all moms, would bind us together. It sad when women get on their "high horse" and think they are doing "it" better and feel the need to tear each other down for making different choices.
ReplyDeleteHoly hell..YES to the last paragraph. Yes.
ReplyDeleteI am with you on 100% of your 'labels'.. but then you already know that! Love you writing this Sally...
We should all be supporting each other as mothers in all our forms, not knocking each other down.
ReplyDeleteTotally agree here Sally. I'm not crazy about the AP label, cos I mostly hate the way the whole idea of being attached seems to many people to be a tick box list of requirements, and that's not how it is at all. x
I don't know why we do this, why there seems to be this need for groups of parents who do things 'their way' to run down other parents for daring to do things differently.
ReplyDeleteI do a mixture of lots of things so everyone hates me;) I've formula fed, fed EBM from a bottle, pumped for my life and breast fed in public with a cover and without a cover.
My kids wear disposable nappies, I work, I co-sleep, I can't handle controlled crying but that doesn't make me feel superior!
I wore both of mine in slings but I own a buggy. I work because I want to and because I have to. No matter how we cut it, we really can't survive on one income. I made all of Jessica's food, not so much of Reuben's! I've told them that soft drinks are only for mums. They have eaten, between them, approximately one tonne of chocolate!
I've had natural births but that was just luck and not something I minded about. Like you, I vaccinated without apologies.
And yes, none of this is the battle. My kids have eaten chocolate and been in childcare and fed with formula. Lots of people judge me for that I'm sure. My kids have been breast feed and slept in my arms and been carried next to my body and eaten home made food. Equally lots of people judge me for that!
You really can't win.It's a shame we have to fight over these things and judge one another over these, often quite insignificant, issues. We're all trying our best. And we should all feel lucky, when we can, because we really are. So, so, so lucky. Sometimes I still can't quite believe how lucky I am.
Despite my one of my labels matching yours, word for word xo
Oh yes and GOOD point Erica. It isn't just my decision. It is also my husband's decision. And, to some extent, the other people who look after my children whilst I am at work (a major dent in my desire to use cloth diapers!)
ReplyDeleteAngie - I cannot believe that anyone would tell you that you were 'wrong' not to circumcise Thor. Seriously, don't get me started on that one or I'll ramble on for even longer than I already have.
I'll get my coat!
Another reason why I absolutely love you. I hate the labels and the categorizing that happens. I had to get downright nasty when a group of women just tore into a mom who refused to accept the notion that her emergency section was unwarranted and gasp...she actually was happy there was a competent OB there to save her child. We are a vicious breed....for sure.
ReplyDeleteAMEN AND AMEN.
ReplyDeleteI agree, nothing like a bit of baby loss to put all that other crap into perspective. Amen sister. (FWIW I seem to follow a very similar parenting style to you, well, great minds and all that...!)
ReplyDelete