I have been doing a bit more socialising of late. Getting out and about to a few more things, despite my now hefty-sized frame. Spring and the sun here tends to drag people outdoors and there has been more happening of late on the social calendar and there is more to come. More reasons to get off the couch and face the world when last spring, I existed in a world of tears and darkness.
I have seen quite a few people of late who I had either not seen since I was jolly and round with Hope, or since the chilly winter day when we buried her body in a small white box in the earth with wet eyes and heavy hearts.
So of course, the first thing many now say to me, after so many months of saying not much or nothing at all, is "congratulations".
On Saturday, a friend of Simon's said this to me and I almost sarcastically blurted back out to him, "what for?"
Oh, that's right. That. The bump. The new baby. The obvious joy in our life again. Oh yeah. That.
But really, I feel like - "what are you congratulating me for?"
That I got pregnant, easily, again? That I have carried to a third trimester, easily, again? Because at this point, as grand as those achievements are and I will never take them for granted, I don't feel like they are much to be congratulated for. I feel like the real congratulations should be saved for when a live child emerges from my body, whole and healthy. So until that point, the word congratulations doesn't really sit all that comfortably with me.
I think a lot of the time, it is because the standard and readily dished-out platitude comes from someone who really has no idea what to say. Someone who probably never said much, if anything, about Hope's death. Her death was icky, complicated and too hard for them. So we got shoved in the too hard basket. And then they gave us space. LOTS of space. I mean we asked for it at first, but now it has become all too convenient for people, especially those who still don't know what to say. So people push us aside. Yeah, if I reached out more, I might be surprised at just how many are still there, but I really don't have the energy for that, with a 29 week old little one, and grief over a daughter now almost 13 months gone sucking all the life and energy out of me.
But this. This new life obviously swelling out in front of me is easy for them. Obviously joyful. Obviously good news. The pregnancy has been smooth and I look pretty well to an outsider (sad eyes aside). So to someone on the fringes of our lives, things appear back on track with the Sally and Simon Show, so they want to pass on their congratulations. Hope's death to them being nothing more than a blip on our radar, even if it was a major one. But something that was overcome, with time, some grief counselling and a new baby growing inside. So congratulations is what they say.
And the other thing is, congratulations is generally what you say to any pregnant woman as there is an easy assumption to make that all will be well. Because, most of the time, it is. Especially once the woman has reached a point where the pregnancy is painfully obvious to all onlookers. So people do assume, even without a crystal ball. Because the alternative is really just too bleak. But if we learnt nothing from this ghastly experience, it is to assume nothing. So we don't. But we do have hope.
All of this is exhausting though, and makes me think - maybe I'm not always ready for the big, bad world again yet? Maybe more couch time is needed? But I know, I can't hide away for ever. I do need to try and reconnect with my old life again in some way, shape or form. And I like spring! I like getting out! It is just hard when something that previously came so easily to me and even excited me, I now dread and feel drained from.
As always though, I know people really do mean well. When they talk to me, I can see them desperately clutching, trying to find something, anything to say that will break the silence and stifle the uncomfortableness. And, on Saturday, when I did receive those warm wishes of congratulations, I simply smiled and thanked the guy - he meant no harm. But on the inside, I was dying. I just don't feel I deserve it. I feel I haven't done anything at this point to earn it. But you know what - I have. I had Hope. I became a Mum. And for that, I did not receive many wishes of congratulations.
Two to be exact. Two people congratulated us for her birth. For having a baby. For becoming parents. One was the midwife who first found Hope had no heartbeat. She came to visit us, the new family of three, on the ward the day after Hope's birth. The first thing she said to us was "congratulations" and all I could do at that point, when I thought my life was all but over, was feel proud, and smile. She even cooed over our baby. The other was a woman who lives a few doors up the road. She wrote congratulations in a card that showed up in our mail box a few weeks after her birth. I never even knew this woman's name until the card arrived, but I can't tell you how happy I was to receive it and to read that special word. The C word. She recognised our achievement, and congratulated us appropriately.
I will welcome all the congratulations I can get when our little Thumper is born, but at this point, I'd rather people held off. Instead they can tell me I look well, they're thinking of us, they're happy for us, that lo and behold, they're sorry for our loss but please, I wish they'd give up on the C word. Unless they want to congratulate me for the little girl who came before. The little girl who got away. Surely I still deserve to be congratulated for that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Oh Sally, I know exactly how you are feeling. I really do. It really upset me that it was so easy for people to be happy and excited for us about Angus and yet were somehow unable to share our grief over Cameron. It's why it took me so long to even tell people that we were pregnant again. I almost didn't want to share our new pregnancy with them. If they weren't willing to mourn Cam's death with us, then why should I let them celebrate Angus' life with us? Congratulations are easy. Bearing another's burden and pain - that's the hard part that some/many shy away from. Thinking of you always.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Rhonda xo
I so get this post, even with all the differences in our losses.
ReplyDeleteThe cooing of your midwife to Hope reminds me of Jordan. People would come and tell me, after she died, that they'd gone into her room to see her and they'd gush at how beautiful she was. And even then, after nearly six months of hell, after she'd died... we were still proud parents of our beautiful little girl.
I get this Sall, I so get this. And yes, you are still to be congratulated. I hated that people didn't send us cards for Jordan much after she was born... they just didn't know what to do. But still, she was our daughter and she still deserved to be welcomed... as did Hope.
xx
Yes, Congratulations are easy. It is easy to focus on this new pregnancy, rather than figure out the right combination of words for Hope. People are lazy. But I totally hear you on this post. How beautiful it would have been to have had cooing over Lucia. I remember when I did that chat online with the psychologist, and the nurse who attended Lucy's birth popped, and she said, "Lucia was beautiful." And I just wept. over and over, deep guttural sobs, because no one knows we made a beautiful baby, they just think we made a dead one. With love, Angie
ReplyDeleteYou do deserve to be congratulated. You had a beautiful baby girl. You became a mother.
ReplyDeleteSadly, I completely agree with Angie's comment above. The beauty and wonder of our children, and the love we have for them, tends to get overlooked because of the presence of death.
I know that I am late but I want to say it anyway. Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful daughter Hope. And I hope to congratulate you once again in the near future. Not assuming anything but I do hope. So much. xo
congratulations for living after your baby died. that's the biggest accomplishment of all.
ReplyDeletei do wish people didn't take the easy way out all the time.
I never got a congratulations after either of my sons were born and you are right, its something that should be said. Even my son, who lived for 2.5 days, nothing. Its almost like people were expecting him to die, so instead of congratulating us they just looked at us.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to you on the birth of your beautiful Hope. I wish she was still here, I wish you were pregnat with a sibling for Hope to play with. I wish your story was much different then it is.
I'll save my congrats for this pregnancy until later. For now, I wish you peaceful days.
*hugs*
I don't know lose the way you so ... I don't know heart break the way you do, but I do try to imagine the hurt you are feeling. I do pray for you daily that you wont ever forget amoment with Hope that you wont loose hope and that things this time will be different. I never really know what to say ... other than I am praying for you. When I think of you or come to your blog I think of you as a mom, I think of you as a strong mom, one who did much more for your baby than I did. I opted out of the "V" birth I went with a C-section ... after that I felt like a coward ... you my friend are STRONG, you are a great woman whom deserves NOTHING but the best ... with prayers and hugs congratulations with Hope and best wishes with the birt of number 2!
ReplyDeleteI never got the C-word in this context either. (Frankly, I'm not an enormous fan of saying it after birth -- regardless of the outcome -- either.) Congratulations to me is rewarding someone for their work, and I guess I view pregnancy and birth as more of a crapshoot than say, a degree program or a relationship.
ReplyDeleteBut you're right: it's rather intellectually lazy for people to spout the same ol' crap without taking your background into account. Thinking of you all.
Sally, congratulations on having a beautiful baby girl--and for surviving this far in your subsequent pregnancy. Peace and hope.
ReplyDeleteOne of the lovely midwives who we had seen off and on through my pregnancy troubles made a special trip to see us, and asked to see George. She told us our son was beautiful and although at the time I didn't see it, I am now profoundly grateful for those words. She saw my son, not just his death.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Sally, for Hope, for Thumper, for living and breathing, and for surviving.
xxx
Dear Sally~
ReplyDeleteI have wanted to comment here for a while, but have been afraid of unintentionally saying something inappropriate. Please forgive me if this doesn’t come across as anything but respectful.
I stumbled across your blog from The Spohrs are Multiplying. I am not a babyloss mother, though I am a mother. Before I found you, I had no idea of how common it was for babies to die. My daughter and I pray for your family, and all mothers and babies, every night.
You have posted a couple of times about the things that people have said to you over the past 13 months. And a lot of what people say is hurtful…even if unintentional. I will admit that while I have not personally known anyone who has lost a baby, (in my adult life), I have known people who have endured loss. And I am always that person who drops the ball or says that wrong thing, or nothing at all.
You could have chosen to suffer your agony in silence, or to write in a journal, but you have chosen to share your feelings with anyone who cares to listen. Through your pain, and your loss, you have educated me. You have taught me to be careful of assuming anything, to be grateful for what I have, and to be more caring to people in general. You have taught me what is OK to say, and what NOT to say. Before reading your blog, I never in a million years would think to tell someone who has just had a stillborn baby congratulations. I know now that the C word is definitely in order, and the most important thing is acknowledging that baby’s presence in this world. Now and in the future.
I know that you would give anything to not be the person who has taught me so much. I wish that these lessons did not need to be taught. I just wanted you to know that your writing has helped others.
I wish you well, and to you and Simon, I am so sorry for the loss of your Hope.
Sincerely,
Gail O'Connor
The word congratulations scares me now. I'm not ready to hear it yet, though I am hearing it more and more. It sounds like the assumption of a happy ending, and I can't assume anything this time around.
ReplyDeleteOne of the things that still makes me smile is that all of our nurses told us how beautiful Teddy was. I really needed that, then, and I need to remember it now.
Your Hope is a gorgeous baby girl, and you deserve congratulations for bringing her into this world.
I have mused about this before too. I accept the "C" word from other babylost because I understand that the texture of the word is different when it comes from them. They mean "Congratulations" for surviving, for being able to conceive, for the possibility of hope. There is no foregone conclusion attached so it's different.
ReplyDeleteIt's coincidental that you post this now. We've just gone public with this pregnancy and have had lots of congratulatory expressions. I try to accept them with grace, because I think the intent is usually graceful but there is definite discomfort.
And you definitely deserve congratulations for the creation of such a beautiful, perfect little girl. CONGRATULATIONS for Hope Angel. For having the strength to share her beauty with us.
love
Jill
I'm worried about exactly that- the congratulations, I'm so happy you've moved on! kind of sentiment. No, I haven't moved on, my desire to raise a live child is still there. That's exactly why I haven't said anything about my pregnancy, other than to my boss and family.
ReplyDeleteI hope you Congratulations will be do once little Thumper is born.
xoxo
Ah yes, so tough to hear when it doesn't feel like it fits yet, isn't it? I know I still feel like screaming at people ... only 6 days away from Monkey's due date. I just want to yell, NOT YET.
ReplyDeleteYou are constantly in my thoughts while you continue to grieve Hope's loss but grow this new little life.
So very, very true. We have that pride in our babies, even after they are gone, and so want others to recognize them for the blessing they were... not just dead babies. I don't think we were ever congratulated. To be honest, that is what hurts most, knowing this little child was never surrounded with the joy that every child deserves.
ReplyDeleteI get so much of this post.
Thinking of you and both your children.
Oh, my heart hurts for you. How bittersweet congratulations are for mothers who have suffered a loss - I can see that now (and of course I didn't before our George died - I can't tell you how stupid and naive I feel). Hope was a beautiful baby and I'm so sorry she's not with you. Thinking of you and your Thumper bump. (((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteTo me you are and will always be Hope's mom. I have never seen you as anyone else. You carried her for 9 months, nurtured her with your very being and you deserve to be congratulated for being a wonderful mom to a beautiful little girl.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure what to say. But I want to say something. I love how open and honest you are. I love when you put everything on the table for everyone to see. I appreciate knowing what you share.
ReplyDeleteI understand what you are saying because until your baby is alive and healthy your fears are real.
I get that. You were so close and yet she is so far away. I can't wait for the day when I can say the C word to you for the baby you are holding inside of you. Today I will say Congratulations for being Hope's Mum.
I think "congratulations" is too risky to me because I'm afraid to be happy again. I was happy waiting for my daughter, and I fell so hard. How can I ever allow myself to be that happy ever again? No one told me congratulations for having Kathlyn.. but they have told me they are proud of me for sharing my story and for remembering to get out of bed. I guess that's similar.. I don't know.
ReplyDeleteMy nurse that night though, she did something very comforting. As she took my daughter from my arms for the last time, she was so, so gentle. I had a csection because she was breech so they didn't reccommend I try to deliver her vaginally. So I couldn't stand or even sit up very well because I was still numb. So passing her around to and from my arms took a lot of care, and went very slowly. Not that you'd ever pass a baby around quickly, but even in death, respect and dignity was given to my daughter. As I passed her to the nurse, she said "ohh.. come here sweetheart," cradled her against her body, and placed her in the bassinet. Calling her "sweetheart" just meant so much to me.
of course you deserve congrats for Hope, she truly was beautiful..
ReplyDeleteit's so much easier for people to focus on the good. i have felt that this year as well. i remember one so called friend not saying a word to me about lev and then 5 months later sending me an email entitled 'happy birthday'. i have so much anger towards all the people who didn't say anything to us. like lev never existed.
ReplyDeletei also remember the nurse coming in after my c-section with tears in her eyes she said 'your son is so beautiful'. and she was the only one who would ever say that. one of the few who ever saw him.
sending you love sally. you have created two beautiful babies. and that is something to be proud of.
xox
Sally, you guys deserve to be congratulated. You are parents. You are and always will be, mum and dad.
ReplyDeleteI'm sending you lots of hugs and love.
Sorry, I haven't posted here often.
I broke down crying talking to someone about Chase recently because I never got a "congratulations" when he was born...from anyone. It was such a scary, awful time, and everything happened rather quickly (3 days), that there was no time for congratulations. I just wanted to hear congratulations for having Chase and I never got it. So sad. I know where you're coming from.
ReplyDeletexxxooo
The space and the silence can be both a blessing and a curse. You need space to grieve and mourn, but you also need to know there are people within arm's length to catch you when you're falling.
ReplyDeleteEven though I don't know you, please know that I'm only an arm's length away.
Sally - such an amazing post. I never could put my finger on what felt 'wrong' about being congratulated about this pregnancy, but you hit the nail right on the head.
ReplyDelete"I feel like the real congratulations should be saved for when a live child emerges from my body, whole and healthy"
So, so, so true. I think that is exactly it. People can be happy for us, hopeful with us, even recognize that this must be a terribly mixed up emotional time for us... but congratulations is not the best choice.
When you told the story of the nurse congratulating you and Simon after Hope was born..... wow. Just tears and a smile. Sometimes it's hard to believe that there are such warm, compassionate people still out there.
She's right. Congratulations are in order. You have a beautiful baby girl to very proud of... your own, special guardian Angel.
xo
Well said, congratulations for your Hope!
ReplyDeleteYou are certainly to be congratulated for surviving what for most women is their biggest fear—losing a child. Not only did you survive, you now appreciate on a much deeper level how extraordinarily precious life is and how fragile it is. As fearful as you may be about the upcoming birth of your son, your love for him and the future he represents is obvious. I can't wait for the day you become a Mom once again and you shed tears of joy for that future.
ReplyDeleteHi Sally,
ReplyDeleteThis is the first post of yours I have read. I am saddened to learn about your dear daughter.
I think you are right on the money with your post and reckon either my wife or I could have written the very same about our experiences.
While I can't recall anybody saying congratulations to us when our daughter was stillborn, the staff in the hospital were amazing. They all came by to admire her, they checked on her in the morgue when my wife was too sore or it was too cold outside for her to go and check. Even the tea ladies told us how lovely our baby was, all of which meant the world to us.
Now when people congratulate my wife or I on her pregnancy (24 weeks) we're not sure how to reply.
We have made minimal effort to tell people we're having another baby, partly because we're suspending our believe until we have a real live baby in our arms, and partly because many people haven't come near us or said anything since our Littlegirl has died so they can find out about our child some other time.
I'll be thinking of you all over the next few weeks & hoping that the days pass with hopeful anticipation.
p.s. I envy the fact that you are heading into spring :)
We've heard "congratulations" a lot over these last few days and it stings each and every time. No one said (well, I take that back, a small handful of people said it) congratulations with Nick, Sophie, or Alex. If people said anything it was "I'm sorry." And I understand that on some level. But it still hurt. Now, I cant even hear the congratulations without it hurting my heart.
ReplyDeleteI never got any congrats either. But to be honest if someone had said it in the beginning I probably would have punched them. Now I think I could appreciate the sentiment versus the fact that most people don't acknowledge that I'm a mother of a beautiful girl who is just waiting for me in heaven instead of being wrapped up in my arms. You know I think Hope is beautiful. She reminds me of Mackenzie. So congrats on having one of the prettiest little girls I've ever seen!
ReplyDeletexo
Ashley