I need to write something. Anything.
Ironically enough, for the next month I'm getting paid to write as I slip back in to an old position with a local newspaper I used to work for. This is a much more relaxed arrangement though. All from home and just two days a week. It is ideal for me right now with the irony being, this is exactly the sort of work I would have been seeking out when Hope was one year old. Something easy, something I knew and something I could do from home. All perfect really. Just that she's not here. The story of my life I suppose. Everything good just with someone very important missing.
So here I am, blogging on the job. But the work has been a bit slow though. Coming in dribs and drabs while I sit by the phone and email waiting for it to land in my virtual in tray. I want to make the most of it though. We need the money. And I need the distraction I guess. At least that's what everybody says.....
So as I sit here twiddling my thumbs, I feel a burning desire to write here today. But it struck me: I'm not even sure what to say. I'm 31 weeks now. Saw the ob yesterday for a check-up (after a two hour wait at the hospital on the world's most uncomfortable chairs) and all, as I predicted, is perfectly fine. Just as it was with the little girl who came before. I try and take comfort in the fact I'm having another dream pregnancy, but it is hard when I know how quickly it can all change.
I don't know what to say about Hope, my grief and my sadness anymore. I feel like it has all been put on hold, as this pregnancy is kicking my butt, sucking me dry and not leaving me with much in the tank. I'm spent, and I still have the best part of seven or eight weeks to go. I have no idea how I'm going to do it, but at this point I know I don't have much of a choice. As much as I'd like to meet him RIGHT NOW, I know it is still much too early. And we are also an awful long way from being ready, in a practical sense. So much shit to do here and I really can't bring myself to do it. The putting the car seat (back) in. The (re)washing the clothes. The sorting through things. The (re)making the cot. I did this once before. I know what needs to be done. I just...... can't. And its not that I want or need help with doing it. I can manage just fine on my own. I just can't go there. Not yet.
I don't cry anymore. The grief hasn't smacked me down for weeks. But truth be told at this point, I can't let it. I don't have the resources to deal with it right now. This pregnancy has been tough physically, but I know a lot of that comes from the mental strain as well. I'm all over the place. I'm feeling so much, but yet so many of my feelings have been put on hold. On the back burner. And if that doesn't make any sense, well try being inside my head. I have no idea what to do with myself right now. I'm surviving, but some days it feels like I'm barely clinging on. The slightest breeze could blow me over the edge right now.
I'm exhausted. I'm excited. I'm in denial. I'm terrified. I'm faking it. I'm procrastinating. I'm happy. I'm fearful. I'm optimistic. I'm worried. I'm calm. I'm a mess. And I'm everything else in between. Most days, that's even before breakfast. Then I have to somehow try and get through a day, finish the day then sleep. And bedtime has all of a sudden become much, much earlier. All that crazy talk in my head does make a girl tired.
Everything hinges on this now. This little guy. His safe arrival. So much is at stake. So much is on the line. So having the time to be sad for my daughter has taken a back seat, and I'm not sure I always like it.
Because I think to myself, when he's here, I'm all of a sudden going to have LESS time and be MORE tired. How am I going to find the time to be sad then, when I'm up to my armpits in breastmilk and nappies? I really don't know. I know a lot of other mothers have been through this, and they're somehow surviving but I still worry for me. How do I parent two children when one is no longer here? This is such a crap way for me to enter the world of "real" parenting. I really wish I knew what sort of a mother I might have been to the living version of Hope.
And thinking about the worst case scenario? While the prospect of it seems so real I can almost smell it, I really don't let myself go there too often. Because I just can't. The fear is real, the risks are there, but I push those thoughts aside as much as I can. It would ruin me. I don't know how I'd go on from that point. The thing is though, if it did happen, I feel as though I'd be better prepared. I'd know exactly what to do this time and what not to do. After all, I'm an expert at this. Dead babies is all I know. But then, I have to stop. Squish those thoughts like a bug. Because they don't get me anywhere and worrying about something that hasn't happened and wont likely happen is a waste of my energy and right now, I don't have much of that.
So I continue to exist in this holding pattern. And I wait. And I tap away. And I think, and over think. And I wait. But what I really want to do is go to sleep. Someone please wake me when this is all done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Boy do I know what you mean about being in a holding pattern. We are trying and I too wonder what sort a parent I would have been and what kind I will now be in the wake of loosing Bryston. I know we will be fine and we will get through but it still leaves us wondering doesnt it. I will be praying for you and your little one, Congrats by the way!
ReplyDeleteThis is such an amazing explanation of what's going on for you right now. All that need to be optimistic and all that fear and sadness crashing against each other in your head must make you one tired mama. In case it ever gets too heavy, please know that I am here, holding up the optimism for you. And Hope will always be held by all of us- happy, sad, scared, whatever. You are not in this alone.
ReplyDeleteGosh, yes, yes and more yes!
ReplyDelete"How do I parent two children when one is no longer here?" I've asked that of myself so many times in the last year. You just do. You manage. Thumper will bring you such joy, and yet in that joy will always be that sorrow too for Hope and what will never be for her.
When I hold Caelan, every kiss, every hug and every sweet smile he has for me and I for him... Jordan is there. In him. With him. Sharing in that love. Bittersweet but better than nothing.
xx
That holding pattern was such a way of life for us too. We felt like we couldnt let the grief overwhelm us because we had to be strong for the current pregnancy and babies. What if sobbing sent me into contractions? Or, and this was the feeling that plagued me so much, what if the babies thought we didnt want them/love them because we were so sad? I feel like I was able to get a lot of my grief out while I was pregnant and focused on pregnancy but only in small doses. I couldnt do anything major. And now, I dont have the energy between pumping, running to the hospital, being with the babies... I find that I break down and just let it out as I am drifting to sleep. But otherwise, my mind just wont let me have hold of it.
ReplyDeleteSending you big hugs, dear. SO glad things continue to go beautifully. Continuing to hope...
When I think about becoming pregnant again and the prospect of losing that baby they way we lost Mackenzie, I find myself thinking "at least I'll know what to do" too. There are so many things I would have done (or I like to think I would have done) if I would have known they were options. I never never never want to go through it again, but like you said...we're kind of experts now & it's all we know. I'm so excited for you!! I'm kind of living vicariously through you at this point. I'm three months away from letting myself try again...if I can wait that long :)
ReplyDeletexo
Ashley
I will continue to pray for you.
ReplyDeleteI think the work is perfect. I wish you great success. Can't wait to meet your little guy.
((HUGS))
I can only second what Sophie said. You will manage. I feel trongly that there is a part of Georgina in her sister. Not just because they were twins, because they were sisters. I think that Hope will be there with Thumper, he will have a little bit of his big sister with him.
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid to say that I still managed to find time to be sad amidst breast milk and nappies. It seems impossible but I did. I needed to. I needed to look after both my girls even if all I could do for one of them was grieve. It's a balancing act.
But what I really wish is for the impossible. That we could be the mothers that we could have been, if Hope hadn't died, if Georgina hadn't died. I would give anything to have our girls and those other mothers that could have been us back. Thinking of you xo
Firstly, congrats on the job!
ReplyDeleteSecondly, it is all such a delicate balance and I agree with Dani - you have described it perfectly and beautifully as always.
It sounds soppy, but I want to say out loud what I hope you already know: I'm sitting here with you, waiting for thumper, remembering Hope. Loys of love xx
This IS such a crap way to enter parenting. Absolutely unjust. But yet, I do believe that the love and grief, and the absolute mix of simultaneous emotions we have felt this last year will translate into great lessons for our children about overwhelming love and compassion. Just know, I am here just waiting, patiently, optimistically, lovingly to meet Thumper. Love.
ReplyDeleteThe last 10 weeks of pregnancy are frought with so much emotion, wonder and frustration - for anyone. For those living a pregnancy after a full term loss, they are excruiciating. The holding pattern and the cylical routine of fear with doubt with concern only to be told everything is fine, then wonder if your insticts are working or if your past experience is too overwhelming that it trumps them every time...
ReplyDeletemuch love to you...and the boy!
ps - my verification word is "dancon". Say it phonetically and I think you have your answer.
Ditto, ditto, ditto.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you, and understanding all the way.
Thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteI feel like I am in a holding pattern too - not for the same reasons as you but I get it.
ReplyDeleteI hate that this was your introduction to parenthood, but I think you are a great mother to Hope and will be to Thumper too.
Sending love...
I'm not there yet, not even TTC, and just thinking about those last 7 or 8 weeks of another pregnancy -balancing the emotions, preparing the nursery, trying to work - is exhausting!
ReplyDeleteAll you can do is take is take it one day, or more like one minute, at a time. You're almost there, and I personally think you have done an amazing job this far.
I agree wholeheartedly with what Angie said about all the grief and love translating into great lessons of overwhelming love and compassion for our other children. I can appreciate that it must be really overwhelming and frightening to think of how you will balance it all, but you have done such an amazing job so far. Thumper is one lucky boy to have such loving parents, and while his big sister should be here for him to play with and learn from, the lessons she has taught you will in turn be taught to him.
I know you don't want to add any additional stress to yourself after Thumper's arrival, and I'm sure on some level washing clothes and prepping the nursery, etc. are things you want to do for yourself, as part of being strong and optomistic, but if you are having a hard time with it, I don't think you need to push yourself. Seriously. If it doesn't get done before Thumper's big debut, it will get done later. Wash a few sleepers and receiving blankets to throw in your bag, but everything else can wait. I'm sure Simon can pick up a package of diapers at the hospital gift shop. There will be time for someone to have the car seat installed for you before you need to drive home. Thumper can sleep in your arms while the cot bedding is being washed, and you can work on sorting through things while he is sleeping in the first few days/weeks at home. Thumper will need a boob, a couple pacifiers, some diapers, a few sleepers and blankets, and little else for the first few days.
If you're anything like me, I know you want it all done perfectly before Thumper comes home and the thought of leaving things for other people to do for you is stressful in itself, but honestly, its okay if it is not done. I promise Thumper won't notice.
Go easy on yourself Sally. And, as Dani said, we are all here waiting with you and holding you. If only I lived closer, I would tell you not to touch a thing, and I would spend the hours after Thumper's arrival doing the washing and running around for you. Well that and right now I would come sit with you, wait with you, and listen to all those thoughts swarming around in your head.
xoxo
I am truly scared. The loss is so traumatic. Losing Lukas after a wonderful pregnancy has really scared and scarred me. I can't imagine the wreck I am going to be the next time.
ReplyDeleteI hope that you can find some peace in the up coming weeks.
I hear you, Sally. I think the holding pattern is necessary for survival. I have so many of these same questions about parenting. I just know you'll be good at it, that you'll find a balance that works, but I wish you didn't have to.
ReplyDeletePlease keep writing something. Anything. Everything that you are dealing with is SO hard and SO unfair and you deserve so much more than the sadness and unknowing. I know that doesn't change it-but you don't deserve this.
ReplyDeleteI am thinking all the time, optimistically, about this new baby boy, and your sweet baby girl, Hope.
I can't say anything better than all the other mummas who have already posted comments. You are brave. You are resourceful. You are strong. You are loving. You are a terrific mumma to Hope and you will be a wonderful mother to your son. (((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteSo much of this resonated with me. The feeling that the slightest breeze could be too much for you and oh yes, I too have wondered so many times what type of a mother I would have been to my child had she lived. Thinking of you as you make your way through these last months of pregnancy and tackle all these many thoughts and questions.
ReplyDelete((hugs))
Yes, sleep, and wake me when it's over and I have a healthy boy in my arms. I'd like to skip the rest, please. xo
ReplyDeleteOh, if i could go into a coma and wake up with a baby that would be great. I know what you mean about being all over the place, I'm there too.
ReplyDeleteHoping Thumper arrives happy and safe...
xoxo
I just found your blog, and I want to share with you part of my life.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know until 7 years ago that my mom had been pregnant with twins when I was coming along. She miscarried at under 3 months.
What is so odd is that, all of my life, I've known something/someone was missing. I'm not your typical oldest child; I'm the second child all the way, but I didn't know it. My sister was born only 15 months after I was. By the time she was two, we were the same size, and people constantly asked if we were twins.
I lean on her, I count on her for advice, I love her so much. When mom told me about her miscarriage after my daughter-in-law miscarried, suddenly everything in my life clicked into place. She was meant to be my twin, and the older of the two of us.
Your little boy will grow up knowing that he had an older sister who would have loved him so much!
I completely relate to feeling as though the grief is on hold. I worry that if (when) this little one gets here, I'll be swamped by all the stuff I'm pushing aside for his/her sake. I just keep reading the mamas who are doing it - parenting after a loss and are loving and grieving and coping and parenting magnificently in the face of it all ... and I am looking forward to reading about you joining their ranks and telling us all about it when Thumper arrives.
ReplyDeleteI relate to the sleeping too - I am trying my level best to sleep away this pregnancy but unfortunately life keeps getting in the way.
I was so sure that Cole wasn't going to come home with us that I did absolutely nothing to prepare. No clothes, no car seat, no crib. With the help of friends, I did everything after he was actually safely born. It was so much easier on me that way, but no one else understood.
ReplyDeleteSally - such a heartfelt post. I think you hit home on so many points for all us... the contradiction of emotions is a whirlwind in itself. It is tiring....so exhausting.
ReplyDeleteSending you, Simon, Hope and Thumper strength and love from Canada.
xo
All I can say is....since you made this post five days or so have passed...almost another week towards your goal.
ReplyDeleteMy wife was talking to a friend of hers who recently had a healthy baby after a full time loss. She was telling how she created a calendar in an Excel spreadsheet and literally marked off the days of her pregnancy.
I think you'll be a great parent. Look how well you are honouring your children already in this blog! You'll never take your child for granted. You may well have the serenity to know what is and is not important in life and raise Thumper accordingly.
I hope everything continues to go well and the days pass smoothly.