Sunday, July 12, 2009

60

It recently occurred to me I have now spent a little over 60 weeks of my life pregnant - yet I have no baby at home to show for it, and a huge broken heart and shattered soul instead.

I am just days off being 20 weeks in to this pregnancy; the half way point.

I remember this stage of the pregnancy with Hope, and proudly exclaiming that there was 20 weeks down, and only 20 to go. I couldn't believe how fast it was all going by and how I would soon have my beautiful baby in my arms.

Time is standing still these days and now I really can't believe I still have 20 weeks to go. And 20 weeks to go until what? I still don't understand how this is possibly going to work out. You mean, this baby might actually emerge from my body alive? I don't get it.

Friends who have just given birth say to me they can't wait for me to join them in a few months to share the experience with me. Different friends said that to me at various points of the pregnancy with Hope, yet I never got to share anything with them. They are off living in their own happy bubble lives where nine months always ends in happily ever after. This pain and horror that I got as a booby prize at the end of my nine months is mine and mine alone. There aren't too many I can share this with, Simon aside.

All I know from almost 41 weeks of pregnancy is death. I don't know how else it can work out, even though I see it everywhere, every day, all around me. Even though that's how it worked for my mum, Simon's mum and all four of our grandmothers. In my fucked up little universe, nine months ends in death and despair. So if that's the case, I suppose I better get planning this little boy's funeral now. Right?

But of course I am not planning a funeral. I am planning on bringing this boy home, and raising him until I am old, frail and grey. Then he will bury me. And don't worry, each time I say or think that, I keep my new blogging friend Mirne in the back of my mind, and I hope she doesn't mind that I mention her here, but this is exactly what she thought she was going to do when she bought her son home, after losing her first born daughter as well. I am under no illusions there are any guarantees here. The universe is still a scary and unsecure place. Bad shit can still happen to good people - and sometimes it happens twice.

I have been out shopping this week and while I found it made me physically ill the first time I picked up a little blue outfit, the following day I was like a woman possessed and could not be stopped. I needed someone to confiscate my credit card - and fast.

I didn't buy too many clothes for Hope. A few things in white, green and yellow, as we did not know her sex so I wanted to wait so I could dive right in to the pink or blue stuff. Except then she died. She was buried in an aqua onesie, a yellow wrap and a white hat. This is all we had and I could not bring myself to go and buy one special burial outfit for her, even though this is what the funeral home had suggested, as if they thought it was cruel we had chosen to bury her in something so plain, simple and particularly un-girly. We took that outfit to the hospital to dress her in after birth, not knowing of course this would be all she would ever wear, and this is how we wanted her left.

Now with this pregnancy, things are obviously very different. I know the gender, so I can really get stuck in to stocking up the wardrobe. And there is plenty of cute blue stuff out there to buy.

But I only need one outfit to bury him in, I keep telling myself. But I try my best to block those thoughts out, and have some sort of faith, that this will indeed work out.

I know if I didn't buy him anything, I would just end up regretting it. After all, everyone keeps telling me that I must enjoy this time and I must make the most of it, you know, just like I did last time with Hope, because you know, this baby deserves that from me, at the very least. Because it is stupid to think I might be jinxing myself, as if whether I buy things or not will have no bearing on whether he actually lives or dies. And I suppose I need to celebrate his aliveness now. Buy him things now, while I can, while there might still be a use for them. Even though at this point I know he does not need much more than his birthday suit.

For my boy, he is alive and well right now. I can feel him, this very moment. He kicks and squirms and makes his presence very well known to me. If I lie still enough, I can even see him move around in there. Incredible. And I watched his ultrasound DVD again last night, just to make sure. Just to confirm this is not all in my head, that I am growing another baby. That I am doing this again. And that with any luck in 20 or so weeks, he will be here, alive and in my arms.

It is lucky in a way that I am someone who DOES enjoy pregnancy. I am not complaining I have had to spend 60 weeks of my life pregnant, I am just sad that at this point I don't have anything tangible to show for it. I LOVED my 40 and a bit weeks with Hope, and while I am struggling to find as much enjoyment in this gestation for obvious reasons, I am still finding moments of happiness. Pregnancy comes easy to me. I have been reasonably well and fit. There have been a few niggling side effects that come with any pregnancy, but that is all part of the fun of growing babies. It is nothing I would complain about per say. It is just par for the course.

Sometimes I do feel like an elephant though, having to be pregnant all this time to get a baby I can keep. Their gestation period is 22 months, and while my combined pregnancy wont be quite that long, when/if this baby is born (alive) in November, it will be almost exactly 24 months since Hope was conceived.

Two years is not such a long time to wait, I know. People struggle through years of infertility and painful and costly IVF procedures, and as so many like to remind me, I am young - there are many more good years ahead of me to make babies. But it is a long time when most people only have to wait nine months. And when that is all I should have had to wait. I shouldn't be doing this again. I should be raising an 11 month old with the prospect of another baby a long way off in my future. I should have a daughter. I shouldn't be mourning a daughter. I should not be pregnant. I should not be growing a son.

But it is what it is. I'm one pregnancy down, and half way in to a new one. Just still hoping like crazy that I end up on the right side of statistics this time. That after 80 weeks of two pregnancies with six months in between, I will get to smile again. Is that too much to ask?

28 comments:

  1. Because we are due to deliver at 36w, the halfway point for us was 18w and I remember thinking, at the same time "Wow, 18w has gone by" and also "OMG, I have 18w to go... Will we ever...." Right now, I've been pregnant for 20 months... I will have been pregnant for 2y come October... And I have three beautiful babies that I had to say good-bye to way too soon after birth, and 2 of my 3 miscarried babies that I barely got to know before saying good-bye, and now these beautiful twins whom I hope to have with me forever... It is so bittersweet.

    Try not to regret buying one thing. I continue to buy stuff and, when I touch the things I bought for Nick, Sophie, and Alex, I think, with a smile, "hand-me-downs". They will always be "their" things.

    Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're starting to buy things. I have been feeling that way to though I have yet to buy more than a blanky. It is very hard to buy things and not think that they may never be used. I used to feel that way with Jordan and of course with Spark.

    I am hopeful for both of us, all of us who are pregnant again and like you I keep Mirne and her loss in my thoughts.

    Looking forward to going shopping with you for boys clothes. I still find it hard to be in those shops. My eyes are always drawn to the pinks.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally, it's not too much to ask at all. I had the funeral planning thoughts too during my pregancy with Kathleen. Hearing that you were feeling the little guy moving made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, it's not too much to ask.

    There's no such things as jinxes, so enjoy your shopping days. And enjoy those kicks when you can. I am rooting for you every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, I appreciate your honest words . I too am
    rooting for you. The happy birth ending is there and no,
    it is not too much to ask.

    Thanks for wishing Lil Mama a happy birthday.
    I look forward to seeing your pictures from
    your son's birth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so hard to read you and Mirne's stories. They are so sad and rightfully so. Being hopeful cannot come easy to either of you.
    I know how badly you want to be excited yet how can you not continue to go back to the day you lost your child. This should be the happiest time in your life yet you can't sweep the past under the carpet like it didn't happen. Your fears are real and I am so sorry you can't enjoy this pregnancy but I totally understand where you are at. I pray for your full term baby to be born alive and you can then maybe have a little more faith in life. God Bless You and your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You deserve to smile Sally. While the pain of losing Hope will never really change, your new little man will bring that smile to you that you long for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, you mentioning 60 makes so much sense, because it's recently dawned on me that I as I am trying and wishing and hoping for a sibling for Ciaran, it will actually be my second pregnancy. Like ACTUALLY. I know you get it. I don't even feel like I've given birth to one baby, let alone giving birth to more than one. When I was first pregnant I remember laughing and saying to my mum that I felt like I'd been 'naughty', like I was going to get in trouble for getting knocked up (yet I was 36 and married!). Now I'm having convo's with my mum about fertility treatments of all things. And STILL feeling like I'm back in high school with pregnancy and babies only for grown ups.
    I hope I get to grow up soon...

    I'm not taking your credit card off you. I know what you mean about Hope's outfit, and I know that this next baby, yet to be conceived, will possibly have a suitcase bigger than mine when I go to hospital, because I will have every choice of outfit known to mankind. Never again will I be limited to an outfit chosen for a life, only to become not quite what I wanted for a burial.


    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smile, enjoy, and remeber these moments with your son!
    You deserve it as much as he does!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find it difficult (if not impossible) to get any enjoyment out of this pregnancy. A friend said to my husband the other day "every day that goes well with this pregnancy is a good day". I disagree with him.

    I had 28 weeks of good days with Freyja, and then we had a bad day and that was the end of that. I do not remember my pregnancy with Freyja with "fond thoughts". Her conception, birth and death will forever represent an immensely traumatic time in my life.

    I had 37 weeks of good days with Kees. Then I had 7 wonderful weeks of life with my beautiful son. But that doesn't count for much when one awful day (his death) comes to represent so much agony and pain for me -- I imagine, for ever.

    And now I'm on my third pregnancy -- another 31 weeks so far. These 31 weeks will only represent something wonderful if this baby lives. Only if he lives.

    I understand your fear and hesitation. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sally I buy something then I think I shouldn't of it, what if I jinx it, then I think this baby deserves some modicum of excitement with buying things for it, it's all so hard...I have bought things and had to abstain from others..where as I see my friends around me having huge baby showers, setting up the nursery...I just want this baby to come out healthy and stay that way atleast until their 90s...
    if only there as some way of speeding up the process..I have felt it go so slowly...then fear the actual day..then I get scared of what I am putting all us through again..it's such a topsy turvy feeling..I just wish I was naive again...not so heavy with worry..Ps Hopes outfit sounds lovely and chosen out of love..
    Louxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've bought my share of blue too. I've thought I've jinxed the baby every step of the way.

    I don't have any words of wisdom- if I did I'd be saying them all to myself now as well as you. Why is time going SOOOO slowly??????

    ReplyDelete
  13. My friend Krystal sent me a link to your blog, and I wanted to say a few things to you...Hope was beautiful, and I'm so very sorry for your loss. I can't say I know how you feel, but a little part of my heart does. My brother's baby was born on June 28, 2009 at 20 weeks and she died shortly after her birth. She may not have been full term or my child, but I loved her dearly! I read Hope's entire story and my heart aches for you...I'm sending you the biggest hug from Arizona! I also want to tell you congratulations on your baby boy! I know Hope will always keep a watchful eye on her baby brother and keep him safe!

    babyparamore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can only say what I have said several times before. I can't imagine what you are going through but I am cheering you on, silently. Hoping and wishing for you so much. I sobbed and sobbed over this post. As someone from the 'opposite' end of the spectrum in a weird way. 60 weeks pregnant, it is unimaginable to me.

    I think that you buried Hope is exactly the right outfit.

    And I'm with Michele, try not to regret buying a single thing. Even though I have a cot dismantled in the attic and a box full of clothing, I'm glad I bought it. I loved her, this was all I could do to show her how very much.

    I'm hoping you get to smile Sally. So, so much. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This little boy *will* put the smile back in your heart. <3 The hurt never goes away, but you will smile again.

    You are not asking too much-- I am sad that you, or anyone of us, even has to worry about the possibility of *not* bringing home a baby.

    He will be here. Healthy, happy-- and you will smile again.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post struck a lot of chords with me, since I lost my first (a daughter) and am now pregnant again with my second (a son). I love my boy, but I want my girl too! It is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sally, everyone has said it all already. I just wanted to add my love and support to the chorus.

    There is nothing anyone can say that will reassure you. You could spend the next 20 weeks hooked up to a doppler and it wouldn't help, but I so strongly believe that this little boy will come home with you. 20 weeks will feel like nothing when he's here.

    Lots and lots of love sweetie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't bought anything yet.

    This is my 6th pregnancy. I have 2 babes to show for it. And the 2 girls I have are the most precious things in my world. If I bring this babe home I break even. It will never feel even though. More ripped off.

    I don't know if I will buy anything. I am frightened if it is a boy and I have a shop load of girls things.

    For now I am just trying to enjoy this latest little life. I am focusing on what they might be like. Our babes deserve us to plan for their future here with us on earth. I have to keep reminding myself of this.

    Sal I see us in the not too distant future sitting together on your couch with our little babes. I do see it :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Catching up and so excited you're having a little boy - sending you much love, Sally. I know this can't be easy. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. A sweet little boy Sally. I'm so glad you've been able to max out the credit card with blue!

    "You mean, this baby might actually emerge from my body alive?" Oh. I get this. Even though I already have two living children, I feel like this. In the five years since I actually last managed to bring a child home, I have completely lost the ability to believe in my body to do this - and I used to feel like such a goddess when I was pregnant.

    For what it's worth. I DO believe this little boy will emerge from your body alive. We're all here counting the weeks with you Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it's OK to feel whatever you feel - whether you feel like buying things, or you feel scared and nervous, or excited, or whatever you feel. You really deserve a baby that you can bring home. Not too much to ask at all! Thinking of you, and hoping for lots more reassuring kicks from your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Quantifying the time pregnant, that's a whole different dimension. So much time spent nurturing and growing our babies, never to have them come home with us. It's just so sad. Sending you heaps of love, Sally. xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're very brave to be getting through each day. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's so, so long, isn't it? So hard to be patient, to even know what to anticipate or expect. Here's to the opening of our hearts and our imaginations...

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's not too much to ask, not at all. I keep hoping and hoping for you, Sally. I want this little boy to put many smiles on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, beautiful post. Wishing you lots of strength and continued hope as you make it past this halfway point.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It broke my heart to read your story. I too thought I would come home with my baby but it was not meant to be. It is going to be different for you this time. You just have to believe that. You have to keep HOPE alive in your heart and think positive. I will definitely include you and your baby in my prayers. Hugssssss

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved