I went back to the gym today. First time in a loooooooooooong time!
Exercise was one of the first things to go in my life when I got pregnant. There was still yoga and walking but anything that made me puff and raise a sweat was gone. I was building a baby and I had to take it easy! Any excuse to put my feet up really, and to put the little one first.
The nine kilos I put on when I was pregnant with Hope melted off in the weeks after the birth through sheer shock, grief and stress. But in the last few months, after extreme eating and inactivity, it has ALL piled back on, with interest.
So I am cheekily calling this "baby weight" even though after I had the baby, the weight was gone. And I'd totally be putting up with this baby weight if the baby was here, but she's not, so the kilos have got to go.
And like Aliza said to me recently in an email, it is all too ironic to think the weight would have melted off while I lovingly breastfed Hope. All the mums I know say how great breastfeeding is for that. Yeah, I'm sure it is....
Turns out going to the gym in the middle of the day has its advantages. There was no one there and I had the place almost too myself. To my surprise, I found my workout program in the drawer there from 2006! I remembered how to use all of the equipment so I picked up from where I left off. Just with a few extra kilos under my belt, a broken heart and no way near the tone and flexibility I used to have. Not that I had much to start with, but I can promise it was better than this. Pregnancy, childbirth and one dead child has completely broken me and I'm not half the person I used to be. My 29 year old body feels so broken.
I guess I have to totally rebuild myself from the ground up.
So that's the physical side of things. Now that I have broken the ice the theory goes that it should be easy to go again. And again and again and again. And we also got a Wii Fit to go with the Wii and damn, that is hard. So in all that spare time I have now, I'm going to be working out to take care of me. It can only help me in the baby making stakes. And to make me feel better about myself.
And on the emotional rebuild, the trip to Hawaii is officially booked. The flights were the same price as flying to the other side of Australia to visit my siblings last year, so we got lucky! We just have to book some accommodation and we're set. We'll be there two weeks so there is plenty of time to look around, shop, explore, sunbake, swim, surf, island hop and relax. And to rebuild myself, just a little bit more. For the first time in five months, I have something to look forward to. And despite the fact it is eating me up inside that I should NOT be able to take a holiday like this, because I SHOULD be looking after a five month old, I am 100 per cent looking forward to it. In fact, I almost wish I didn't have to come back. I know the grief I pack will take up much of my suitcase, but I'd rather be miserable in Hawaii than miserable here on my couch.
Given we are not taking any breaks from "trying" we will be finding out again if we are pregnant in Hawaii, quite early on in the trip. So I could be coming home with an extra person on board. But I'm trying (really, really hard) to not make too much of that, as fairy tales clearly do not come true for me. My life used to be somewhat of a fairytale, now it resembles more of a horror story. Just to be sure though, I'll pack a pregnancy test and tampons as well.
What will be will be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Pregnancy tests and tampons.
ReplyDeleteThat about sums it up for so many of us.
It will happen for you soon.
xxx
I started working out about a month after losing Dresden.. (I spent that first month giving my body the big FU! You get no vitamins or activity.. you FAILED stupid body!) it REALLY helped a lot with stress. Work out like you're preparing to grow another baby, it makes it seem more important and gives you something to do while you wait. :) I also hear ya on all the things we shouldn't be 'able' to do.. fun things as simple as going to the movies, or huge things like hawaii! You can't do that stuff with a newborn.. yet here we are. :( Just take it easy on yourself and have a lot of fun on your trip!
ReplyDeleteGood for you for getting back to the gym. I have never been much concerned with weight gain and such, but it really hit me after Kai died- no baby and my jeans still didn't fit. It took me a while to get from "I have nothing so I can eat whatever I want" to "I will just be more miserable if I keep going this way." I never had much flexibility either.
ReplyDeleteThere will be many things to look forward to- glad Hawaii is among them.
The gym in the middle of the day is a wonderful thing. As soon as I felt able (about 6 weeks post-Ezra) I started going to classes at the gym in the middle of the day...surrounded by retired old ladies from my neighborhood who didn't know me...I loved the anonymity.
ReplyDelete"What will be, will be"
ReplyDeleteSo true. Althout I KNOW you will be warm, which does make me twinge just the slightest as I sit looking out a -2 degrees.
xoxo
Mr. Spit and I went to Disneyland for Gabe's due date. The time was still hard, but it gave us some time away, to adjust back to the business of living again.
ReplyDeleteIt's a slow process. Give yourself time.
Good for you. Its good that you are taking care of yourself.
ReplyDeleteI just read your whole story. Its funny. I held it together until I read the comment about your husband telling you to wrap her up like a burrito...your burrito babe. See, whenever I wrap my youngest (my post infertility baby) after his bath, I tease him about being my baby burrito.
I am so sorry for your loss and I hope the future will bring an earthbound angel to your life. Your daughter was beautiful.
You go girl! And maybe you will be smuggling a free passenger back from he States!
ReplyDeleteGood for you with the gym! It's so hard to focus on taking care of yourself sometimes when what you really wanted was to be taking care of someone else.
ReplyDeleteAnd I hope Hawaii is beautiful, magical, and relaxing for you.
If you're going to the "Big Island" of Hawaii with all the active volcano's etc, I highly recommend a campervan! So many spots to park in the middle of paradise for sunsets/sunrises, not to mention the mango tree's everywhere... (roll down the window and pick them as you drive past!)
ReplyDeleteI hope you have fun in Hawaii. You need this getaway. Saltwater has a way to sooth the body mentally and physically.
ReplyDeleteWell done for hitting the gym and for booking your trip away. It takes real guts to take those steps and to be positive about making changes to our life as we know it.
ReplyDeleteWell done on getting back to the gym. I started a month after Alice died - I loved being there and just being a person at the gym. No-one knew me or noticed if I got a little teary on the rowing machine.
ReplyDeleteWe have a street near us called 'Hope Street' and I think of your Hope everytime I drive along there.
x
wow, i have a similar post in my head right now. i read yours and really think we have the same ol shit going on all the time. crazy. doing exercise tv is helping so much lately- its helping my moods and i'm hoping changing my body back. and maybe making it look even better then before.
ReplyDeleteand our vacations! panama is on my mind bigtime. i wish we had 2 weeks there. but i'll take what i can get.
Good for you for going to the gym and booking your tickets! Good for you for taking care of you, Sally. That is huge, and I'm proud of you. And envious that you get to go to Hawaii soon...
ReplyDeleteI hope the trip brings some rest, relaxation and some positive news for you!
ReplyDeleteYou're smart to take care of your body, I know it feels broken, because of course it is, but you can do a lot to heal it so it will nurture a new baby right into your waiting arms.
xxoo